From: Gunwant Jain <therealgunwant@×××××.com>
To: UnderSampled <undersampled@××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Weekly Report: Portage Powered Android
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2020 18:12:55
1 Hey Stephen,
2
3 I took a brief look at GloDroid. It looks like just another AOSP tree but
4 with support for more devices like you mentioned.
5 But SharkBait aims to build Android on the device itself, the flavour of
6 Android should not matter. And for the same reasons, I chose Lineage's
7 tree because of the massive device support it has.
8
9 To implement SharkBait, we will have to swap the toolchains AOSP offers
10 with the ones supporting aarch64 host. Once that is sorted out, we could,
11 in theory, implement any flavour of AOSP, be it glodroid, or any other
12 fork, just by tracking SharkBait's toolchain sources.
13
14 On top of that SharkBait aims also to separate the AOSP modules and
15 provide updates via Portage. But I predict that this would be SharkBait
16 specific.
17
18 Targeting newer devices like the PinePhone would be like the normal way
19 AOSP forks like Lineage extend support to newer devices. I agree on a
20 PinePhone target.
21
22 Once again, I thank you for offering me help in getting such devices.
23 But I would politely ask for you to wait until I implement SharkBait on
24 a phone first (the Lineage sources for my phone are easily available).
25 Benda offered me an arm64 server for the project, I think that would be
26 enough to work on, once I succeed in building the toolchain (or fail to
27 do so because of hardware limitations).
28
29 Thanks,
30 Gunwant