From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] We need your ideas for the Google Summer of Code
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 11:01:46
1 On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 10:28 PM, Steev Klimaszewski <steev@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2014-02-24 at 15:07 -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 1:55 PM, Denis Dupeyron <calchan@g.o> wrote:
4 >> > Gentoo is a base distribition with its own set of derivatives, just like Debian
5 >> > and Slackware.
6 >>
7 >> Yup, and ironically most installations of Gentoo and its derivatives
8 >> run upstart, which isn't even in the portage tree. How's that for
9 >> choice?
12 > I don't quite get the "How's that for choice?" question, even if it's
13 > tongue in cheek... The only derivative I know of that uses upstart is
14 > ChromeOS, and while I know that it's installed base is quite large, I
15 > don't know that it covers more than all others (when you include Gentoo
16 > in there.) Have Google ever released any numbers on ChromeOS devices?
17 > What other derivatives run upstart? I do ask out of genuine curiosity.
18
19 Agree the choice line was a bit of a stretch, but I think Gentoo is a
20 great distro to start with if you're pushing the limits, and Chrome OS
21 is clearly a significant departure from the norm.
22
23 Chrome OS is the only Gentoo derivative I'm aware of that uses
24 Upstart. From Google it looks like they sold 2.5M of them last year.
25 I doubt that there are anywhere near 2.5M boxes running Gentoo or any
26 of its other derivatives. I believe a Chromebook was the #1 selling
27 laptop on Amazon last year.
28
29 Agree with the rest of your post - I was just supporting the general
30 sentiment that defaults aren't as important as some think they are,
31 and neither is having one true sysvinit. Sure, it is annoying that
32 some DEs lock you in to one option, and that may be a problem that
33 gets worse over time. I don't see a need to either block DEs from
34 doing this, or to force everybody else to change to match.
35
36 Rich