From: Steev Klimaszewski <steev@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] We need your ideas for the Google Summer of Code
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 03:28:37
1 On Mon, 2014-02-24 at 15:07 -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 1:55 PM, Denis Dupeyron <calchan@g.o> wrote:
3 > > Gentoo is a base distribition with its own set of derivatives, just like Debian
4 > > and Slackware.
5 >
6 > Yup, and ironically most installations of Gentoo and its derivatives
7 > run upstart, which isn't even in the portage tree. How's that for
8 > choice?
11 I don't quite get the "How's that for choice?" question, even if it's
12 tongue in cheek... The only derivative I know of that uses upstart is
13 ChromeOS, and while I know that it's installed base is quite large, I
14 don't know that it covers more than all others (when you include Gentoo
15 in there.) Have Google ever released any numbers on ChromeOS devices?
16 What other derivatives run upstart? I do ask out of genuine curiosity.
19 > > It is even debatable that there is a default in Gentoo. Most
20 > > users seem to be attached to OpenRC, but the fact that systemd is a
21 > > hard requirement of Gnome blurs the picture.
22 >
23 > Well, following the handbook gives users an openrc-based system. At
24 > some point perhaps the handbook will make systemd a first-class
25 > citizen, and it will be just another option like lilo vs grub and so
26 > on. The only thing holding that up is cleaning things up and writing
27 > the documentation, and it sounds like there are some interested in
28 > doing just that.
31 I'm pretty sure, as with anything in Gentoo, if someone wants to see
32 systemd made a "first class citizen" in the documentation, they just
33 need to do more than want, and actually put in the work...
34
35 In fact, since we seem to be switching to using the wiki for
36 documentation, it seems like it would be even easier to do so, if
37 someone were interested in seeing it done.
38
39 > With all the Debian stuff going on I've been thinking about whether
40 > Gentoo needs to do more, and honestly I think we covered most of the
41 > ground we needed to cover last summer/fall. I think we've cleared the
42 > way as much as we can for both openrc and systemd to be completely
43 > successful on Gentoo. We don't have to pick a winner, and I don't
44 > think anyone would say it is quite time to change the "defaults" -
45 > whatever that even means.
46 >
47 > Rich
48
49 There are a few people who think we should change the "defaults" but I
50 agree with your assessment. I know at least one person is working on
51 creating some systemd based stage3 tarballs, and I watch, mostly out of
52 morbid curiosity, but I don't know what the status of that work is yet,
53 and haven't looked recently. Most of my arm devices have kernels that
54 are too old to use systemd, so I definitely appreciate the work that is
55 still done on the alternatives.