From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Application for SoC as a Student
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2013 15:56:29
1 On 04/20/2013 05:45 PM, Tuxle T wrote:
2 > Dear all
3 >
4 > I am Stefan from Switzerland and I am looking for a mentor.
5 > I currently have been pursuing a BEng in Computer Science at the Zurich
6 > University of Applied Science.
7 >
8 > I am using Gentoo since 2009 on my server and since 2010 on my Laptop.
9 > The biggest problem I have ever had with the system was undoing broken
10 > updates of libpng, poppler or dev-libs/gmp
11 > So, I have got the following idea: I would setup Gentoo's root on `BtrFs`
12 > so that `emerge` takes a snaphshot every time something is being modified.
13 > That way, rollbacks will become easy.
14 > I am not sure if this is the best solution for everyone, because BtrFs is
15 > still in development and not always an acceptable choice.
16
17 btrfs and zfs should be able to do that, ryao might be able to mentor
18 you on the zfs bits.
19
20 The only problem I'm seeing is that the core functionality is pretty
21 much 4 lines in the late phase of pkg_{pre/post}inst.
22
23 You'd be pressed to make it work really well to justify the task alone.
24
25 lu