From: Tuxle T <tuxle@××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Application for SoC as a Student
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2013 15:47:00
1 Dear all
2
3 I am Stefan from Switzerland and I am looking for a mentor.
4 I currently have been pursuing a BEng in Computer Science at the Zurich
5 University of Applied Science.
6
7 I am using Gentoo since 2009 on my server and since 2010 on my Laptop.
8 The biggest problem I have ever had with the system was undoing broken
9 updates of libpng, poppler or dev-libs/gmp
10 So, I have got the following idea: I would setup Gentoo's root on `BtrFs`
11 so that `emerge` takes a snaphshot every time something is being modified.
12 That way, rollbacks will become easy.
13 I am not sure if this is the best solution for everyone, because BtrFs is
14 still in development and not always an acceptable choice.
15 Nevertheless, I believe that this solution is a great one for developers.
16
17 I work mainly with
18 * git (and gitolite)
19 * kate (JavaScript, C, C++11, BaSH, Python) / eclipse (Java, Java on
20 Android)
21 * make (compile & deploy)
22 * LaTeX
23 Also I have been working with svn, Assembler on Intel x86, Ruby & PHP.
24 In my free time I play around with inkscape & blender or I play on my
25 guitar.
26
27 Best regards
28 Stefan Schindler aka. Tuxle