From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Welcome, GSoC students!
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 15:26:17
1 On 15:07 Sat 15 May , Mu Qiao wrote:
2 > On 05/14/2010 11:04 PM, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
3 > > Blogs
4 > > -----
5 > > Many developers use blogs to communicate with the community at
6 > > large. We recommend you read posts on Planet Gentoo
7 > > (http://planet.gentoo.org/) and add the feed to your reader. We also
8 > > highly recommend that you get a blog for yourself (if you already
9 > > don't have one), and use it to write anything relevant to your
10 > > project under a category such as 'gsoc2010' or 'gentoo'. We will
11 > > aggregate your blogs on our Planet for the entire Gentoo community
12 > > to read.
13 >
14 > Thank you for giving such detailed information to us! I really
15 > appreciate that Gentoo community provides us with a bunch of useful
16 > resources. I have questions about the Blogs and Progress reports.
17
18 Great, thanks for asking! While we're at it, this is a good time to
19 briefly mention one aspect of email etiquette. Take a look at how I
20 quoted only the parts that are relevant to my reply, instead of the
21 whole thing, and how I write my reply immediately after each part. This
22 makes it a lot easier for people to follow the details.
23
24 > 1. I didn't use blog before and I think it's time for me to get one as
25 > you suggested. Is it possible to create a blog at blogs.gentoo.org?
26
27 We aren't hosting new blogs; you might want to set one up at
28 wordpress.com or one of the many other blog-hosting sites. What we'll do
29 is pull your content into a collection with all the other GSoC students,
30 and probably a second feed shared with Gentoo developers, so that people
31 who want to read about what's happening in Gentoo can follow your work.
32
33 Once you get a blog set up, you can file a bug to add your blog to our
34 aggregator (Planet). The bug will get assigned to planet@g.o —
35 because I don't think you have privileges to assign bugs to specific
36 people, you might want to ask your mentor to file it to speed things up.
37
38 > 2. When should we start reporting the progress of our projects?
39
40 No later than the end of the first week of coding. If you're already
41 making progress, we'd love to hear from you!
44 Thanks,
45 Donnie
46
47 Donnie Berkholz