From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Ideas wanted!
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 07:11:14
1 On 20:34 Sun 27 Feb , Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > Welcome back to this year's edition of the Google Summer of Code
5 > (GSoC)!
6
7 Gentoo was accepted for our 6th summer in GSoC! Last year, we had 19
8 students, which made us one of the largest organizations in GSoC. I'd
9 love to see our program grow again this year to become even bigger.
10
11 I've updated our Summer of Code website [2] and copied our ideas list
12 [3] over from the wiki, which was proving unreliable. Tomorrow I'll work
13 on news and blog postings. If you have any suggestions or comments on
14 improvements to this year's program, please let me know!
18 I'm planning to make some small changes to our program based on
19 experience from last year and discussions at the mentor summit, and I'll
20 describe these changes in the remainder of this email. Please note that
21 this isn't cast in stone, but the previous experience of many other
22 large organizations suggests these are good ideas.
23
24 First, we'll work even harder to keep strong communication going between
25 mentors, students, and administrators, since this is critical to a
26 successful program for students and the rest of us:
27 - Beyond our weekly progress reports from students, we'll begin asking
28 mentors to submit a simple multiple-choice question every week so
29 admins can ensure every project is on track in a scalable way.
30 - To make sure nobody fails by surprise and give students an
31 opportunity to catch up, we'll have informal evaluations of the
32 students at 1/4 and 3/4 of the way through the program.
33
34 Second, we should make some changes to the application process:
35 - We now explicitly state the expectation of GSoC being full-time
36 work, which is common across the entire GSoC program [1]. (For
37 students, it's also worth reading the rest of the guide.)
38 - Our requirement of a patch submission with a proposal will require
39 that students fix real bugs rather than making useless cosmetic
40 changes.
41
42 Other changes I'm considering:
43 - Delaying the requirements portion of the "application template"
44 until after students have applied. This lowers the initial bar to
45 participation by waiting until students have already gotten
46 enthusiastic about the program to ask them to spend a little bit of
47 time on it.
48
49 1. http://www.booki.cc/gsocstudentguide/_v/1.0/time-management-for-students/
50 2. http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/userrel/soc/