From: Gunwant Jain <therealgunwant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Weekly Report: Portage Powered Android
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2020 04:52:18
1 On 20/07/15 09:04AM, Benda Xu wrote:
2 > Gunwant Jain <therealgunwant@×××××.com> writes:
3 >
4 > >> > The next two weeks will be focused on that. I will be setting up an
5 > >> > ARM based VPS.
6 > >>
7 > >> What kind of VPS are you planning to set up?
8 > >
9 > > I don't know actually, I was looking for AWS's EC2 A1
10 > > https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/instance-types/a1/
11 > > but then I realised that the credits which we get from Github's Student
12 > > Pack are for _AWS Educate_. AWS does offer a free tier variant, but it
13 > > only provides credits worth 30$ at the moment.
14 >
15 > AWS free/education tier will be less powerful than your phone. Please
16 > go ahead and try but don't bat much on it.
17
18 Okay.
19
20 > Does your phone have an SD card slot? Is it possible to set up NFS or
21 > iSCSI on you phone?
22
23 Yes, my phone officially supports expandable storage upto 256 gigs. That
24 should suffice building Lineage. I am looking into the NFS based
25 solution first though.
26
27 One more thing I should point out is that building Android, atleast
28 Android Q, generally requires atleast 16 gigs of RAM. I have encountered
29 people trying to circumvent this with ZRAM. My phone only has 3 gigs of
30 RAM, so I will have to do the same. Let's see how this fairs out.
31
32 Regards,
33 Gunwant