From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] We need your ideas for the Google Summer of Code
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 01:01:34
1 On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 11:02:06AM -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > I don't profess to have closely investigated, but I take it that it
3 > wouldn't make sense to just use networkd instead? It seems to me that
4 > configuring a network isn't exactly a Gentoo-specific problem.
5 For simple configurations, networkd is fine.
6
7 The problem and power of netifrc comes a lot from it's variable use.
8 A lot of my advanced configs take full advantage of variables, so that I
9 don't need to change an IP in a dozen places, and can change it just
10 once.
11
12 I have some advanced examples here:
13 http://dev.gentoo.org/~robbat2/conf.d-net/
14
15 For example, here's drop-in TunnelBroker tunnels, just fill in 5
16 variables (plus two more if you're not using eth0 as your WAN or eth1 as
17 your LAN):
18 http://dev.gentoo.org/~robbat2/conf.d-net/ipv6-addon.txt
19
20 The multihomed example is slightly stale [1], because the functionality
21 it added with functions got added to netifrc when it gained full support
22 for RPDB. However, it will still work out of the box, just change the IP
23 addresses and networks.
24
25 If networkd got all this variable and processing support, plus the other
26 modules from netifrc, then it could replace netifrc, except for the fact
27 that Gentoo still wants to support OpenRC.
28
29 [1] You can tell it's really old because it still uses the bash array
30 syntax.
34 Robin Hugh Johnson
35 Gentoo Linux: Developer, Infrastructure Lead
36 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
37 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85