From: Benda Xu <heroxbd@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Interest in Improve packaging of scientific software
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2018 01:21:10
1 Hi Federico,
2
3 Federico Lodovici <f.lodox@×××××.com> writes:
4
5 > I'm Federico Lodovici an undergraduate student of Computer Science at
6 > Milan-Bicocca University.
7 >
8 > I've been using mainly Gentoo for an year and a half and linux since I
9 > was 14. I'm interested in Machine Learning and Data Analysis and
10 > Visualization tools applied to science (since I want to continue my
11 > studies in Data Science for Physics) and I really want to been able to
12 > give anyone the opportunity to use this tools on gentoo without many
13 > hassle so I found this idea very interesting to me
14
15 > I'm helping to mantain an unofficial repo of ebuild on github so I'm
16 > somehow familiar in writing them,
17
18 > I'm very familiar with python (even if actually I'm using it with
19 > pandas to do simple data analysis projects) and with Bash/Zsh/Sh (On
20 > my github there are simple scripts I've done using it)
21 >
22 > My github profile is https://github.com/fedelodo, my freenode and
23 > telegram usernames are fede_run.
24
25 Welcome and thank you for your interest!
26
27 > but actually I've not contacted the mentors.
28
29 > I've got a Bugzilla account with the same email but I haven't done any
30 > bugfix or PR yet.
31
32 You have already figured out what to do. So just go for it, discuss
33 with the mentors and find bugs assigned to sci _AT_ gentoo _DOT_ org on
34 the bugzilla and help resolve them.
35
36 If you are interested in data science and physics, look into the related
37 packages both in gentoo repository and science overlay, and figure out
38 what's missing. Feel free to ask on this list along your preparation.
39 Then you can come back with a feasible plan for the summer.
40
41 Yours,
42 Benda