From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Universal select tool: I'm a bit curious
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 10:00:59
1 On 24-03-2009 11:06:53 +0000, Sébastien Fabbro wrote:
2 > If I understand the exherbo folks continued eselect development (which
3 > is stalled in Gentoo) as eclectic [1]. It seems it could cover some
4 > features mentioned in the SoC wiki, but not yet all the features in the
5 > modules. See also msys/softenv [2] for another set of tools doing that
6 > kind of thing.
7 > I don't know who posted the idea, but making consistent and modular
8 > switching tools for Gentoo would be quite nice. I would recommend
9 > check eclectic first.
10
11 If someone is going to look at eselect, I would prefer if that person
12 could take into account that eselect is currently a big mess for Prefix
13 platforms due to the use of unportable constructs (pgrep et all), and
14 hardcoded paths all over. While the latter is not strictly an eselect
15 problem (although it suffers from it itself a lot), the eselect modules
16 in general are not encouraged to properly use ROOT and install offset
17 IMO. A design that whould encourage that, would most probably help the
18 Prefix project a lot.
19
20 Last but not least, eselect is horribly slow, so it could use some
21 faster approach for the core, perhaps by using another language than
22 bash.
26 Fabian Groffen
27 Gentoo on a different level