From: mephx <mephx.x@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Re: Universal select tool: I'm a bit curious
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 17:43:17
1 Hello,
2
3 After reading the proposal at the wiki and reading the posts regarding this
4 project here at the ML I started poking arround and really seeing if this
5 project was worth it.
6
7 The actual eselect code is deprecated and Exherbo's ecletic is not that
8 different and can be slow. Eselect can be a very powerful tool but could be
9 improved with a C rewriting. Having this in mind, using
10 modules.sf.netproject would be yet another workaround for a common
11 problem of gentoo users
12 and therefore not the solution.
13
14 Besides re-writing eselect in plain C the new implementation would be as
15 follows:
16
17 Every ebuild with SLOT != 0 would create it's own "module" in a per-system
18 DB (similar to /var/db) allowing the module listing and switching easy. This
19 implies some coding on portage and a few parameter tweaking on each
20 "modulable" ebuild.
21 The "module" creation would be automatic and therefore created upon a
22 successful emerge.
23 Another per-user DB would be maintained and read upon each login for
24 environment switching (adding a few lines on /etc/bash.rc or similar).
25 The per-user DB would also allow various profiles per user and fast
26 switching between them.
27
28 Would be glad to hear some comments from other gentoo/list users.
29
30 The idea on the wiki "universal select tool" really got into my interest as
31 it is a common problem that I have to deal with from time to time.
32
33 Cheers,
34 Sérgio