From: mmacleod@××××××××××.za
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Improved binary package support
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 11:55:15
1 > > <snip>
2 > I'm not sure if this is doable, but not using hashes would be great.
3 The discussion on the bugzilla page is a must read in order to discuss this
4 properly, it also explains why using a hash for this is necessary
5 https://bugs.gentoo.org/150031
6 > It would be cool to encode as much information as possible so that it
7 > can be decoded again. In any case, there should be a database with what
8 > the hashes mean, so that users can see "Ok, i use this and that CLFAGS
9 > and this and that USE-flags, and if i now change that USE-flag which I
10 > don't really care about and add -pipe to my CFLAGS, I can find almost
11 > everything I need as binary packages".
12 This information is stored inside the xpak tail of package itself and can
13 easily be obtained if needed.
14 > It would also be cool to work with the stats project here to find out,
15 > which CFLAGS and USE-flags are used, which packages are installed.
16 This would be interesting long term yes.
17 > > The second kind of hash that I am talking about now is a security
18 > > hash computed over the final package file. By having multiple users
19 > > compile the package and generate a security hash of it one can
20 > > ensure(within reasonable doubt) that the package has not been
21 > > tampered with by the contributor, by for example adding a rootkit to
22 > > the source code.
23 > As far as I know, tar is used. If times or anything like that are saved
24 > in the tarball, you can forget to reproduce a tarball with the same
25 > hash. Also, sometimes the time and date when it was compiled is saved
26 > in the binary. So, either I don't understand you, or it just will not
27 > work.
28 While some hash algorithms do take file modification time into account this is
29 certainly not necessary at all, and in this case a hash algorithm that does
30 not take file modification time into account would definitely be used.
31
32 It is true some programs make use of compile time defines such as __TIME__ and
33 __DATE__ these will certainly pose a problem of some degree, however making
34 the hash algorithm more advanced to work around these particular cases is
35 certainly not impossible.
36
37 There might be the odd package which does not work initially but that is okay,
38 these can be blacklisted from the system and then investigated and potentially
39 fixed at a later time.
40
41 Having most things available as binaries certainly beats having none or very
42 few.