From: Philipp Riegger <lists@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Improved binary package support
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 22:19:35
1 On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 13:55:13 +0200
2 mmacleod@××××××××××.za wrote:
3
4 > > > <snip>
5 > > I'm not sure if this is doable, but not using hashes would be great.
6 > The discussion on the bugzilla page is a must read in order to
7 > discuss this properly, it also explains why using a hash for this is
8 > necessary https://bugs.gentoo.org/150031
9
10 I'll look at it, thanks.
11
12 > > > The second kind of hash that I am talking about now is a security
13 > > > hash computed over the final package file. By having multiple
14 > > > users compile the package and generate a security hash of it one
15 > > > can ensure(within reasonable doubt) that the package has not been
16 > > > tampered with by the contributor, by for example adding a rootkit
17 > > > to the source code.
18 > > As far as I know, tar is used. If times or anything like that are
19 > > saved in the tarball, you can forget to reproduce a tarball with
20 > > the same hash. Also, sometimes the time and date when it was
21 > > compiled is saved in the binary. So, either I don't understand you,
22 > > or it just will not work.
23 > While some hash algorithms do take file modification time into
24 > account this is certainly not necessary at all, and in this case a
25 > hash algorithm that does not take file modification time into account
26 > would definitely be used.
27
28 I was talking about modification times saved in the tarball, not the
29 modification times of the tarball. In that case, you would need to
30 unpack the package and hash all files in it. But to create a general
31 hash algorithm that hashes compressed tar files and does not take into
32 account any times and dates is impractical, if not impossible to do it
33 so that it makes sense.
34
35 > Having most things available as binaries certainly beats having none
36 > or very few.
37
38 The same is true for different CFLAGS, ARCHes and USE-flag
39 combinations. :-D
40
41 Philipp