From: EBo <ebo@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Framework for automated ebuild generators: final report
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 12:02:18
1 On Sep 26 2013 4:21 AM, Brian Dolbec wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2013-09-25 at 23:29 -0600, EBo wrote:
3 >> On Sep 25 2013 2:58 PM, Jauhien Piatlicki wrote:
4 >> ...
5 >> It would interesting if this work could work with other efforts to
6 >> tackle specific other specific backends like R and the R_Overlay
7 >> project.
8 >
9 > R needed more fine grained control over the ebuilds generated, hence
10 > R_Overlay, with it's database of rules/overrides used to generate the
11 > ebuilds. In fact for the pypi backend some code inspiration is taken
12 > from R-overlay to produce a database which can/will be downloaded to
13 > speed up overlay generation/update (that feature may not be complete
14 > yet).
15
16 Good to know.
17
18 >> > ...
19 >> > 2. Emerge app-portage/g-sorcery (note, it depends on
20 >> > app-portage/layman-9999)
21 >>
22 >> With Gentoo's distain for live ebuilds, do you have a sense for
23 >> which
24 >> version of layman might support the necessary functionality?
27 > I will include it in the next release of layman. But none of the
28 > current releases have it. I have to make some changes for the new
29 > portage config changes now in the newer portage versions. So, it
30 > shouldn't be too long.
31 >
32 > And what's so hard about:
33 >
34 > echo "=app-portage/layman **" >> /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords
35 > emerge layman
36 >
37 > and for easier live ebuild updates:
38 >
39 > emerge app-portage/smart-live-rebuild
40
41 it is not an issue with it being hard, but stability and consistency --
42 the code that I am you checked out of a repository and built last week
43 is not necessarily the same code I checked out and emerged today.
44 Someone might have made a change the day before yesterday which
45 introduced a bug, and when I post a bug report there is no way to know
46 what code either of us are compiling.
47
48 I always preferred using date-stamped ebuilds which check out a
49 particular revision of a code base. So I know that on 20130923 this is
50 when I tested revision #219 with a hashtag of "fa1f0b5c4db5". Then when
51 I go back to test or depend on something, I know exactly what version we
52 are talking about.
53
54 >> > ...
55 >> recently I started looking at OSv, and it uses gradle. The current
56 >> gentoo ebuilds I have found are -bin installs. Since OSv has a Java
57 >> VM
58 >> as one of its primary pieces, it might be both instructive and
59 >> useful to
60 >> contact them and get the skinny on why they use gradle since you are
61 >> looking at Clojure.
62 >>
63 >> I mentioned rubygems/ruby above. Maybe that would be an interesting
64 >> avenue also.
65 >
66 > I don't know ruby/rubygems, but I have a feeling it might be better
67 > off
68 > using R_overlays code to generate a hosted Ruby_overlay
69
70 sounds about right. Since you were asking for suggestions I thought I
71 would oblige ;-)))
72
73 Anyway, thanks again for the great work, and I hope that this and the
74 R_Overlay continues to grow and progress.
75
76 Best regards,
77
78 EBo --