From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Framework for automated ebuild generators: final report
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 10:21:46
1 On Wed, 2013-09-25 at 23:29 -0600, EBo wrote:
2 > Jauhien,
3 >
4 > First congratulations on finishing the project! I have a couple of
5 > questions and suggestions for possible future work. I will inline to
6 > keep the thread.
7 >
8 > On Sep 25 2013 2:58 PM, Jauhien Piatlicki wrote:
9 > > Hi all,
10 > >
11 > > summary
12 > > ~~~~~~~
13 > >
14 > > I'm working on `Framework for automated ebuild generators [1]. My
15 > > mentor
16 > > is Rafael Martins. The aim of this project is to facilitate creation
17 > > of
18 > > ebuild-generators for 3d party software providers. For those
19 > > interested
20 > > in the advance of a project there is a Kanban board [2] and a
21 > > git-repository with code [3].
22 > >
23 > > Final report
24 > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~
25 > >
26 > > Status: finished.
27 > >
28 > > A framework for automated ebuild generators was created as was
29 > > planned.
30 > > A developer's documentation can be found at [4]. During the project 3
31 > > working backends were implemented:
32 > >
33 > > -- for ELPA repositories of emacs elisp packages
34 > > -- for CTAN (not so useful, as there is good CTAN suppport in Gentoo,
35 > > but usable if something is missing in the main tree)
36 > > -- for PyPI
37 >
38 > It would interesting if this work could work with other efforts to
39 > tackle specific other specific backends like R and the R_Overlay
40 > project.
41
42 R needed more fine grained control over the ebuilds generated, hence
43 R_Overlay, with it's database of rules/overrides used to generate the
44 ebuilds. In fact for the pypi backend some code inspiration is taken
45 from R-overlay to produce a database which can/will be downloaded to
46 speed up overlay generation/update (that feature may not be complete
47 yet).
48
49 > I also know that ruby, and rubygems is another management
50 > headache (which I recently smacked my forehead against -- for the third
51 > time in as many years).
52 >
53 > > A brief user's documentation is available at [5]. Also there are man
54 > > pages available after installing g-sorcery.
55 > >
56 > > Usage is simple:
57 > >
58 > > 1. Add jauhien overlay with
59 > >
60 > > # layman -a jauhien
61 > >
62 > > 2. Emerge app-portage/g-sorcery (note, it depends on
63 > > app-portage/layman-9999)
64 >
65 > With Gentoo's distain for live ebuilds, do you have a sense for which
66 > version of layman might support the necessary functionality?
69 I will include it in the next release of layman. But none of the
70 current releases have it. I have to make some changes for the new
71 portage config changes now in the newer portage versions. So, it
72 shouldn't be too long.
73
74 And what's so hard about:
75
76 echo "=app-portage/layman **" >> /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords
77 emerge layman
78
79 and for easier live ebuild updates:
80
81 emerge app-portage/smart-live-rebuild
84 > > # emerge -va g-sorcery
85 > >
86 > > 3. List available overlays with
87 > >
88 > > # layman -L
89 > >
90 > > 4. Add a g-sorcery overlay you like (note, there is dependency
91 > > between
92 > > overlays)
93 > >
94 > > # layman -a gnu-elpa -a marmalade
95 > >
96 > > 5. Emerge package you want
97 > >
98 > > # emerge -va app-emacs/clojure-mode
99 > >
100 > > Credits. Thanks to:
101 > >
102 > > -- Rafael Martins for mentoring
103 > > -- Brian Dolbec for lots of advices
104 > > -- Denis Dupeyron for general coordination
105 > > -- Auke Booij for implementing during GSoC 2010 idea that I found
106 > > interesting and that inspired me to work on ebuild generation
107 > > -- anybody from Gentoo community who helped with answers to my
108 > > questions (not only during this GSoC ;-) )
109 > >
110 > > Also I would like to know if somebody wants a backend for any
111 > > repository
112 > > type. At the moment I'm planning to have a look at Leiningen
113 > > packaging
114 > > system as I have plans to do some work with Clojure.
115 >
116 > recently I started looking at OSv, and it uses gradle. The current
117 > gentoo ebuilds I have found are -bin installs. Since OSv has a Java VM
118 > as one of its primary pieces, it might be both instructive and useful to
119 > contact them and get the skinny on why they use gradle since you are
120 > looking at Clojure.
121 >
122 > I mentioned rubygems/ruby above. Maybe that would be an interesting
123 > avenue also.
124
125 I don't know ruby/rubygems, but I have a feeling it might be better off
126 using R_overlays code to generate a hosted Ruby_overlay
129 > other than that, thanks for all the great work!
130 >
131 > EBo --
132 >
133 > > [1]