From: EBo <ebo@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Framework for automated ebuild generators: final report
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 05:29:16
1 Jauhien,
2
3 First congratulations on finishing the project! I have a couple of
4 questions and suggestions for possible future work. I will inline to
5 keep the thread.
6
7 On Sep 25 2013 2:58 PM, Jauhien Piatlicki wrote:
8 > Hi all,
9 >
10 > summary
11 > ~~~~~~~
12 >
13 > I'm working on `Framework for automated ebuild generators [1]. My
14 > mentor
15 > is Rafael Martins. The aim of this project is to facilitate creation
16 > of
17 > ebuild-generators for 3d party software providers. For those
18 > interested
19 > in the advance of a project there is a Kanban board [2] and a
20 > git-repository with code [3].
21 >
22 > Final report
23 > ~~~~~~~~~~~~
24 >
25 > Status: finished.
26 >
27 > A framework for automated ebuild generators was created as was
28 > planned.
29 > A developer's documentation can be found at [4]. During the project 3
30 > working backends were implemented:
31 >
32 > -- for ELPA repositories of emacs elisp packages
33 > -- for CTAN (not so useful, as there is good CTAN suppport in Gentoo,
34 > but usable if something is missing in the main tree)
35 > -- for PyPI
36
37 It would interesting if this work could work with other efforts to
38 tackle specific other specific backends like R and the R_Overlay
39 project. I also know that ruby, and rubygems is another management
40 headache (which I recently smacked my forehead against -- for the third
41 time in as many years).
42
43 > A brief user's documentation is available at [5]. Also there are man
44 > pages available after installing g-sorcery.
45 >
46 > Usage is simple:
47 >
48 > 1. Add jauhien overlay with
49 >
50 > # layman -a jauhien
51 >
52 > 2. Emerge app-portage/g-sorcery (note, it depends on
53 > app-portage/layman-9999)
54
55 With Gentoo's distain for live ebuilds, do you have a sense for which
56 version of layman might support the necessary functionality?
57
58 > # emerge -va g-sorcery
59 >
60 > 3. List available overlays with
61 >
62 > # layman -L
63 >
64 > 4. Add a g-sorcery overlay you like (note, there is dependency
65 > between
66 > overlays)
67 >
68 > # layman -a gnu-elpa -a marmalade
69 >
70 > 5. Emerge package you want
71 >
72 > # emerge -va app-emacs/clojure-mode
73 >
74 > Credits. Thanks to:
75 >
76 > -- Rafael Martins for mentoring
77 > -- Brian Dolbec for lots of advices
78 > -- Denis Dupeyron for general coordination
79 > -- Auke Booij for implementing during GSoC 2010 idea that I found
80 > interesting and that inspired me to work on ebuild generation
81 > -- anybody from Gentoo community who helped with answers to my
82 > questions (not only during this GSoC ;-) )
83 >
84 > Also I would like to know if somebody wants a backend for any
85 > repository
86 > type. At the moment I'm planning to have a look at Leiningen
87 > packaging
88 > system as I have plans to do some work with Clojure.
89
90 recently I started looking at OSv, and it uses gradle. The current
91 gentoo ebuilds I have found are -bin installs. Since OSv has a Java VM
92 as one of its primary pieces, it might be both instructive and useful to
93 contact them and get the skinny on why they use gradle since you are
94 looking at Clojure.
95
96 I mentioned rubygems/ruby above. Maybe that would be an interesting
97 avenue also.
98
99 other than that, thanks for all the great work!
100
101 EBo --
102
103 > [1]