From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Project Proposal : GenCC for "Gentoo Community Compiling"
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 23:27:21
1 On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 5:52 PM, Antoine Pinsard
2 <antoine.pinsard@×××××××××××.fr> wrote:
3 >
4 > Binary repository seems to be a radical but good solution to get rid of
5 > attack attempts (in both ways). However (though I'm sure you're aware of
6 > that), compilation possibilities are much too numerous to consider
7 > applying it. And that's Gentoo's reason of beeing. Well, I think.
8
9 Well, I'm not convinced it is practical either, but I don't see how
10 the "compilation possibilities" are any less complex for an ad-hoc
11 distributed compiler project.
12
13 Gentoo's reason for being isn't so that we can compile stuff every
14 time we solve it. That is just a means to an end. The reason for
15 being is so that we have a much higher level of control over what ends
16 up getting installed. If users could get the same binary they would
17 have gotten by compiling things themselves without actually having to
18 compile it, I doubt anybody would miss the build time.
19
20 My basic point is that if you manage to solve the problems that
21 prevent an ad-hoc distribute compiler infrastructure from working,
22 chances are that you could just build a library of binary packages
23 with just as many supported options/permutations.
24
25 Rich