From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Cc: tools-portage@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Some project ideas
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2013 19:40:52
1 On Mon, 2013-03-04 at 23:44 +0100, Antoine Pinsard wrote:
2 > Hi again,
3 >
4 > I have two more project ideas and wonder if they are good ones and if
5 > they fit well the summer of code.
6 >
7 > The first one came from this discussion on Gentoo-Chat:
8 > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-951096.html
9 >
10 > According to some users (well, actually one for the time being), some
11 > portage tools "are out of date or do not completely fulfill the
12 > requirements of users" (last message of the first page).
13 >
14 > The idea is thus to fetch these tools and put them into two lists: those
15 > which need a few fixes and those which are better to be fully rewritten.
16 > Then evaluate which ones can be done while the summer of code.
17 >
18 > Do you think it could be a good subject?
21 First sorry it's taken so long to respond. I've been quite busy, plus I
22 wasn't sure how to best reply...
23
24 Well, I know that we would like to re-write euse into python from bash.
25 By doing that euse could use the portage api calls to get better, more
26 consistent/current data to provide the users. It could also speed up
27 it's operation over the bash version (minor point). It would make it
28 easier to maintain as changes in operation on those files, accessing the
29 data about the flags, etc. change, the api calls are likely to not
30 change. That would make many changes automatically available, used
31 without needing to update the code. An euse re-write in python using
32 the portage api would also allow for more options/features to be easily
33 added.
34
35 However I don't think that an euse re-write would be enough for gsoc
36 project. There are other tools in gentoolkit that could use more
37 updates, but for the most part are not extensive.
38
39 I've cc'd the tools-portage alias so that we can all particiapte in any
40 further inquiries about gentoolkit and other tools-portage packages that
41 we maintain.
42
43 For a well motivated student we may be able to come up with enough work
44 suitable for a gsoc project.
45
46 > Thanks