From: Pavlos Ratis <dastergon@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Cc: tools-portage@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Some project ideas
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 15:20:31
1 It would be great to have these ideas in our wiki page:
2 http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code/2013
3 There is no need add yourself in the contacts, but you can document
4 them (3-4 lines).
5
6 On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 9:40 PM, Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o> wrote:
7 > On Mon, 2013-03-04 at 23:44 +0100, Antoine Pinsard wrote:
8 >> Hi again,
9 >>
10 >> I have two more project ideas and wonder if they are good ones and if
11 >> they fit well the summer of code.
12 >>
13 >> The first one came from this discussion on Gentoo-Chat:
14 >> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-951096.html
15 >>
16 >> According to some users (well, actually one for the time being), some
17 >> portage tools "are out of date or do not completely fulfill the
18 >> requirements of users" (last message of the first page).
19 >>
20 >> The idea is thus to fetch these tools and put them into two lists: those
21 >> which need a few fixes and those which are better to be fully rewritten.
22 >> Then evaluate which ones can be done while the summer of code.
23 >>
24 >> Do you think it could be a good subject?
27 > First sorry it's taken so long to respond. I've been quite busy, plus I
28 > wasn't sure how to best reply...
29 >
30 > Well, I know that we would like to re-write euse into python from bash.
31 > By doing that euse could use the portage api calls to get better, more
32 > consistent/current data to provide the users. It could also speed up
33 > it's operation over the bash version (minor point). It would make it
34 > easier to maintain as changes in operation on those files, accessing the
35 > data about the flags, etc. change, the api calls are likely to not
36 > change. That would make many changes automatically available, used
37 > without needing to update the code. An euse re-write in python using
38 > the portage api would also allow for more options/features to be easily
39 > added.
40 >
41 > However I don't think that an euse re-write would be enough for gsoc
42 > project. There are other tools in gentoolkit that could use more
43 > updates, but for the most part are not extensive.
44 >
45 > I've cc'd the tools-portage alias so that we can all particiapte in any
46 > further inquiries about gentoolkit and other tools-portage packages that
47 > we maintain.
48 >
49 > For a well motivated student we may be able to come up with enough work
50 > suitable for a gsoc project.
51 >
52 >> Thanks