From: Hans de Graaff <graaff@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Intelligent distfile fetcher
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 17:47:13
1 On Mon, 2010-04-12 at 11:12 -0600, ryan winkelmaier wrote:
2
3 > A daemon the can run in the background and attempts to predict
4 > packages you might install in the future. Building a program (run on a
5 > server) to "recommend" packages based on what other users have
6 > installed. Please correct me if I am wrong.
7
8 I think it could be more simple than that. Just base the list on what is
9 in the system and world sets. From that it is easy to determine what
10 needs to be fetched. It won't be a 100% match for what will actually be
11 installed but I think it will be close enough.
12
13 > On a side note, I noticed you help with the gtk-gnutella project. I'm
14 > leaning towards using it (daemonized and topless) as the p2p client.
15 > Whats your opinion on this?
16
17 Sounds like a good plan to me, at least to try it out. Whether it will
18 really work in practice is something to be found out. At least using
19 Gnutella solves the problem of having to keep running trackers all the
20 time. I have good contacts upstream as well so let me know if you need
21 anything there.
22
23 Kind regards,
24