From: Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] [soc idea] Improve NetworkManager integration with Gentoo
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2010 04:56:17
1 Improve NetworkManager integration with Gentoo:
2
3 People who use NetworkManager in Gentoo have found that it lives in an
4 ecosystem of it's own, completely detached from the network
5 configuration in Gentoo (/etc/conf.d/net, hostname, dns, etc). Due to
6 these reasons, the init script has not even been made to "provide net"
7 yet, which makes it quite useless out of the box. However, NM is an
8 excellent tool, and the aim of this project would be to make it work
9 properly in Gentoo.
10
11 This mostly involves writing a NetworkManager plugin to read and write
12 to Gentoo configuration files, and various other improvements to
13 enhance integration. Creating a full list is left as an exercise for
14 the applicant.
15
16 Skills:
17 *C
18 *GObject C
19 *Basic understanding of networking
20 *Familiarity with network configurations and services in Gentoo
21
22 That's essentially what I've put up on the wiki. Anyone who has used
23 NetworkManager semi-seriously will agree with me that NM integration
24 is quite shoddy in Gentoo because no one wrote a gentoo-specific
25 plugin (like RH and Ubuntu did). Writing the plugin itself and making
26 it work properly should not take more than a month (and a half?), and
27 properly integrating NM with network services (reconfiguration/hup
28 when new interfaces go up/down, etc) should take a few more weeks
29 (mainly b/c we need to test against almost everything).
30
31 I need help in adding a few more things to this project so that the
32 student can be kept occupied for the entire duration of summer. Or is
33 the amount of work sufficient?
34
35 Also, please note that I will most likely not be able to mentor for
36 this project, so if anyone is interested in mentoring, feel free to
37 take over this ;)
40 ~Nirbheek Chauhan
41
42 Gentoo GNOME+Mozilla Team