From: Benda Xu <heroxbd@g.o>
To: "Yuan Liao (Leo)" <liaoyuan@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Week 4 Report for Big Data Infrastructure and H2O ebuilds Project
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 03:52:44
1 Hi Leo,
2
3 "Yuan Liao (Leo)" <liaoyuan@×××××.com> writes:
4
5 > I have been quite busy creating the ebuilds that build the Kotlin
6 > libraries from source during the past week, and I am pleased to report
7 > that the work is now complete and the ebuilds are installable and
8 > usable. Every Kotlin library listed here [1] can be built from source
9 > using those ebuilds. All ebuilds have been pushed to my fork of the
10 > Spark overlay [2].
11 >
12 > To use the ebuilds to build the Kotlin libraries from source, binary
13 > JARs for kotlin-stdlib and kotlin-reflect pre-built by the upstream
14 > must be installed first for bootstrapping. Then, after the Kotlin
15 > compiler package -- dev-lang/kotlin-bin -- is installed, the libraries
16 > can be built from source. The exact commands to build and install the
17 > libraries from source are:
18 >
19 > env USE="binary" emerge -a1 dev-java/kotlin-stdlib dev-java/kotlin-reflect
20 > emerge --ask dev-lang/kotlin-bin
21 > emerge --ask --update --newuse --deep @world
22 >
23 > The ebuilds only use kotlinc and javac to build the Kotlin libraries.
24 > Although Gradle is used by the upstream to build Kotlin, it is not
25 > used in those ebuilds. I extracted the commands Gradle would run to
26 > build each library component to create those ebuilds.
27 >
28 > I am currently in the process of writing a blog post describing how I
29 > discovered the way to extract those commands from Gradle and
30 > surmounted various challenges in creating those ebuilds, and I have
31 > also planned to provide more documentation regarding installing and
32 > maintaining those packages. The blog post is supposed to be completed
33 > today, but I really cannot make it because there are really lots of
34 > things to talk about and my brain is slowing down as bedtime is coming
35 > closer and closer. I am sorry for the delay. Once it is published
36 > (hopefully tomorrow), I will post the link to it in a reply to this
37 > email. The link to the documentation will also be posted after it is
38 > done.
39
40 Congratulation for such a major triumph as a by-product of your GSoC
41 project! The idea for Gentoo to be the first GNU/Linux distribution
42 supporting kotlin toolchain from source code is the sexiest.
43
44 @fordfrog, IMHO this achievement deserves wider exposure. I would like
45 to encourage Leo to call for early testers of Gentoo Kotlin ebuilds on
46 -dev and start the procedure to land
47 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:Leo3418/Kotlin somewhere aligned with
48 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Java. How do you think?
49