From: "Miroslav Šulc" <fordfrog@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o, Benda Xu <heroxbd@g.o>, "Yuan Liao (Leo)" <liaoyuan@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Week 4 Report for Big Data Infrastructure and H2O ebuilds Project
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 07:19:01
1 Dne 17. 07. 21 v 5:52 Benda Xu napsal(a):
2 > Hi Leo,
3 >
4 > "Yuan Liao (Leo)" <liaoyuan@×××××.com> writes:
5 >
6 >> I have been quite busy creating the ebuilds that build the Kotlin
7 >> libraries from source during the past week, and I am pleased to report
8 >> that the work is now complete and the ebuilds are installable and
9 >> usable. Every Kotlin library listed here [1] can be built from source
10 >> using those ebuilds. All ebuilds have been pushed to my fork of the
11 >> Spark overlay [2].
12 >>
13 >> To use the ebuilds to build the Kotlin libraries from source, binary
14 >> JARs for kotlin-stdlib and kotlin-reflect pre-built by the upstream
15 >> must be installed first for bootstrapping. Then, after the Kotlin
16 >> compiler package -- dev-lang/kotlin-bin -- is installed, the libraries
17 >> can be built from source. The exact commands to build and install the
18 >> libraries from source are:
19 >>
20 >> env USE="binary" emerge -a1 dev-java/kotlin-stdlib dev-java/kotlin-reflect
21 >> emerge --ask dev-lang/kotlin-bin
22 >> emerge --ask --update --newuse --deep @world
23 >>
24 >> The ebuilds only use kotlinc and javac to build the Kotlin libraries.
25 >> Although Gradle is used by the upstream to build Kotlin, it is not
26 >> used in those ebuilds. I extracted the commands Gradle would run to
27 >> build each library component to create those ebuilds.
28 >>
29 >> I am currently in the process of writing a blog post describing how I
30 >> discovered the way to extract those commands from Gradle and
31 >> surmounted various challenges in creating those ebuilds, and I have
32 >> also planned to provide more documentation regarding installing and
33 >> maintaining those packages. The blog post is supposed to be completed
34 >> today, but I really cannot make it because there are really lots of
35 >> things to talk about and my brain is slowing down as bedtime is coming
36 >> closer and closer. I am sorry for the delay. Once it is published
37 >> (hopefully tomorrow), I will post the link to it in a reply to this
38 >> email. The link to the documentation will also be posted after it is
39 >> done.
40 > Congratulation for such a major triumph as a by-product of your GSoC
41 > project! The idea for Gentoo to be the first GNU/Linux distribution
42 > supporting kotlin toolchain from source code is the sexiest.
43 >
44 > @fordfrog, IMHO this achievement deserves wider exposure. I would like
45 > to encourage Leo to call for early testers of Gentoo Kotlin ebuilds on
46 > -dev and start the procedure to land
47 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:Leo3418/Kotlin somewhere aligned with
48 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Java. How do you think?
49
50 i would like to move kotlin to the main tree once it is ready according
51 to Leo. just one thing comes to my mind that should be resolved prior to
52 that, and that is support for multiple kotlin compilers being installed
53 at the same time and a way to choose among them, like we have for java
54 (eselect java-vm). i think this is needed both for users and for
55 packaging packages that use kotlin compiler. one other thing that comes
56 to my mind is launching kotlin compiled apps with kotlin deps, but i
57 suppose that our java launcher should be able to handle the deps so it
58 probably won't be an issue at all.
59
60 i would also like to merge java-ebuilder improvements from Leo's fork,
61 but not sure whether i can/should merge everything from the fork or just
62 cherry-pick some features atm.
63
64 > Cheers,
65 > Benda