From: "Antanas Uršulis" <antanas.ursulis@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] GSoC 2013: Log collector
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 01:19:43
1 Hello,
2
3 I'm a final year Computer Science undergraduate at the University of
4 Cambridge (UK). My main languages are C and C++, but my bachelor's project
5 involves working with and modifying the CIEL task-parallel execution system
6 written in Python, and I have also been using Python for my scripting
7 needs. I have been a Gentoo user since 2009 (switched from *buntu), if I
8 can remember correctly.
9
10 I am interested in the "Log collector/analyzer for tinderbox" GSoC project,
11 not only because I would like to help the developers of my favourite Linux
12 distribution, but I could also see myself using an extension of the tool to
13 oversee my own systems (for example, computers at the Lithuanian National
14 Olympiad in Informatics, where I am a member of the technical staff).
15
16 Of course, there are some things I would like to discuss. Firstly, are
17 there already any thoughts on a replacement for Amazon's SimpleDB storage?
18 I would see that as a major part of the project. Second, if I were to think
19 of this as a more general tool, with the possibility to support various log
20 providers (portage, apache, etc.) and analyzers in the future, what would
21 your opinion be on that? I think it would be possible to implement this
22 without any external dependencies, so that Portage remains light. Third,
23 after a quick search, I came upon the question: is there a reason not to
24 hook into systems such as Apache Flume + Elastic Search, or logstash, or
25 Scribe?
26
27 Lastly, I would like to know up-front whether you would be OK with me only
28 being to able to fully focus on the project from the 7th June - I have
29 exams until then and cannot devote my time to this. That is 10 calendar
30 days lost from the "Students get to know mentors, read documentation, get
31 up to speed to begin working on their projects." phase.
32
33 I'm happy to provide more background about myself and hope to hear from you!
34
35 Regards,
36 Antanas Uršulis