From: "Diego Elio Pettenò" <flameeyes@×××××××××.eu>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] GSoC 2013: Log collector
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 15:55:26
1 Hi Antanas,
2
3 First of all, thanks to showing your interest in this project. I'll be
4 the assigned mentor for the project if you're going to be working on
5 it.
6
7 To answer your concerns (in quite an unsorted fashion, I apologize), I
8 would start with saying that what we're looking for with this project
9 is to have not just an average log collector, but one that is
10 integrated explicitly with components such as Portage and Bugzilla;
11 the target of this project, for me, is to be able to use it for the
12 tinderboxes I've been running (which are currently on-hold because I'm
13 too busy with training at a new job).
14
15 While I'm not discounting *any* particular technology right away,
16 we're looking for something that works quickly and relatively
17 easily... sometimes while technology is already out there that could
18 work, it doesn't suit the workflow as it is right now. At the same
19 time, for what I'm concerned you can start by keeping the use of
20 Amazon's AWS services, if it helps you. The end goal is to avoid using
21 it, but there is no hurry with that, as the costs associated with it
22 are very marginal right now. The only important part here is that the
23 data you store on AWS is not persistent when using the final
24 collector.
25
26 I don't have any problem with "wasting" the 10 days — but this does
27 not give any "get out of trouble free" card for the evaluation, so
28 keep it in mind, you might have to do some harder work in the first
29 few days. But that does not say much, some people actually performs
30 better under pressure, so it's up to you if you want to go for it or
31 not :)
32
33 If there is anything else you want to know, feel free to ask on the
34 mailing list and I'll answer ASAP.
35
36 Thanks,
37 Diego
38
39 Diego Elio Pettenò — Flameeyes
40 flameeyes@×××××××××.eu — http://blog.flameeyes.eu/
43 On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 2:19 AM, Antanas Uršulis