From: Pallav Agarwal <pallavagarwal07@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] GSoC 2016: Continuous stabilization of Gentoo Packages
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2016 23:12:18
1 Hello everyone,
2
3 My name is Pallav Agarwal, and I'm a second year undergraduate at Indian
4 Institute of Technology, Kanpur, India. With this email, I would like to
5 introduce myself to the Gentoo community.
6
7 I have applied to Gentoo project 'Continuous stabilization'.
8 The current process of stabilization of packages in the Gentoo tree is
9 carried out by a team of Gentoo developers, manually and is hence, quite
10 slow. By automating the process of building installing and then testing a
11 package, a large number of packages can be stabilized automatically,
12 significantly reducing the load on the developers doing the manual
13 stabilization.
14 Moreover, since infrastructure is expensive, this computation can also be
15 done in a distributed fashion, running the jobs on computers of volunteers
16 willing to contribute some computation time using a software like BOINC.
17 Once this is done, it should be possible to have stabilization requests
18 resolved in almost no time at all.
19 For users, this would also mean that the latest versions of packages would
20 be made safely available to them much sooner than they are done right now.
21 Also since the packages can be checked for stability for a lot more
22 combination of USE flags and Gentoo profiles than possible manually, the
23 possiblity of a user running into an error after package stabilization
24 would be very low.
25
26 About Me:
27 I’m a Linux enthusiast; and have a plethora of experience with development
28 in its various manifestations, viz Web, App, Package writing to name a
29 few. I’ve
30 been a long time user of various Linux distros (starting with Ubuntu, I
31 have since used Debian, Fedora, Arch, Gentoo, and NixOS). I have been
32 fascinated by Gentoo and Portage, ever since I forced its (Portage’s)
33 installation in a completed Linux From Scratch system just to see if it
34 would work.
35
36 More information about me, my contributions and the project I wish to
37 contribute to, can be found in the proposal here:
38 https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y-peO_EH1Am8ZchYXhnC5oVpB5e8Vw37JvhM5vOefZ4/edit?usp=sharing
39
40 Regards,
41 Pallav Agarwal