From: Serkan Kaba <serkan@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Gentoo/Java integration Project Weekly report #2
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 17:08:28
2 Hash: SHA1
5 On 29-05-2011 14:27, Jiale Pan (Kyle Pan) wrote:
6 > Hi everyone,
7 > This is second weekly report of my Gsoc Project--Gentoo/Java integration
8 >
9 > First some introduction to the project:
10 > -----------------------project introduction--------------------------------
11 > The project includes an improvement to current java-config and a new
12 > eclipse-plugin. The plug-in, which when clicked, lists system installed
13 > java libraries for users to select and import into projects. This avoids
14 > user manually browses and locates system installed libraries, making
15 > developing more efficient and comfortable. The existing tool
16 > java-config, with some necessary improvements, is chosen as the data
17 > retrieval backend of this project. Jython is used to integrate
18 > java-config to the plug-in.This project will mainly benefit developers
19 > using eclipse, and due to planned work on improvements to java-config,
20 > it will benefit java-config project and even non-developer gentoo users
21 > as well.
22 >
23 > ------------------------progress of this week
24 > --------------------------------
27 > In this week I read a lot of Python docs and did a lot of practice.
28 > During the time from a newbie of Python to now that I can say I'm quite
29 > familiar with Python, I learned a lot.
30 Great.
31 > Base on that, I read through the java-config source code and add the two
32 > functionalities to it as planned:
33 > 1. add query package's javadoc path of specified package functionality.
34 > *currently usage: java-config -D PACKAGE ,--javadoc=PACKAGE to do that
35 > 2. add query package's javasrc path of specified package functionality.
36 > *currently usage: java-config -C PACKAGE, --src=PACKAGE to do that.
37 >
38 > (if -D and/or -C options are not proper (eg reserved for other use,etc.)
39 > or there are other considerations, please mention it in reply and I can
40 > change to other words)
41 We tend to use lowercase for query options and -c is unfortunately reserved.
42 >
43 > ---------------------------------issues-----------------------------------
44 >
45 > I've already mentioned the compatibility issue in my last weekly report.
46 > But still I cannot decide a solution. Since my mentor is devaway(he
47 > mentioned in his last mail),so ***I'd like to ask experienced developers
48 > for help here***. And thanks in advance:
49 Sorry for my unavailability, I was unable to read/reply emails during my
50 trip. I'll try to cover up and get things on track ASAP.
51 >
52 > At my current knowledge of Python I think it is impossible to write one
53 > code snippet in Exception handling that both compile in Python 2.5 and 3.1:
54 >
55 > Python 2.5 takes " except UnexistingPackageError, e" Syntax
56 > while Python 3.1 takes "except UnexistingPackageError as e". Syntax.
57 >
58 > I have to write Python 2.5 compatible code( because the latest Jython is
59 > 2.5 and I'm intended to use it in my eclipse plugin). But when emerging
60 > my java-config[1], at "Compilation and optimization of Python modules
61 > for CPython 3.1" stage, it gives this error:
62 >
63 > --------------------
64 > * Compilation and optimization of Python modules for CPython 2.6 ...
65 > * Compilation and optimization of Python modules for CPython 3.1 ...
66 > *** Error compiling
67 > /usr/lib64/python3.1/site-packages/java_config_2/EnvironmentManager.py ...
68 > File
69 > "/usr/lib64/python3.1/site-packages/java_config_2/EnvironmentManager.py", line
70 > 59
71 > except InvalidVMError, ex:
72 > ^
73 > SyntaxError: invalid syntax
74 > <<<
75 > /usr/lib64/python3.1/site-packages/java_config_2/EnvironmentManager.py[co [
76 > !! ]
77 > * Updating desktop mime database ...
78 > ----------------------
79 >
80 > Since my improved version of java-config is intended to work in Python
81 > 3.1 as well, one solution I thought is directly patch the src code to
82 > let it in Python 3.1 Syntax after "* Compilation and optimization of
83 > Python modules for CPython 2.6 ..." finishes and before
84 > "* Compilation and optimization of Python modules for CPython 3.1 ..."
85 > starts. The problem is that I've read java-config's ebuild but had
86 > difficulties in locating at what function call this step happens. Also
87 > I'm not sure patch in that time is acceptable or not.( I've read the
88 > ebuild guild and it says all patches should normally be done in
89 > src_prepare().)
90 Patching in that stage is definitely an improper solution even if
91 possible. As far as I read, their plan is to move on with 2.6
92 development. Please ask either in #jython or their ML to see if they
93 have a SVN branch that supports 2.6.
94 >
95 > ***So I'd like ask for suggestions about dealing with this issue. Or
96 > other possible ways.*** Thanks.
97 >
98 > --------------------Plans for next week
99 > ---------------------------------------
100 >
101 > As my plans in proposal my javadoc and javasrc functionalities adding is
102 > done in 3rd week of Gsoc time, so I'm one week ahead of plan. Ahead of
103 > plan is good I think, and in my next week I'll:
104 > 1.Besides asking for suggestions, I'll continue research by myself on
105 > the above issue.
106 > 2.Begin GenEclipse plugin work
110 > [1] my branch of java-config:
111 > http://overlays.gentoo.org/svn/proj/java/projects/java-config-2/branches/kylepan/java-config-2.1.9999k.ebuild