From: "Jiale Pan (Kyle Pan)" <kyle.j.pan@×××××.com>
To: Serkan Kaba <serkan@g.o>, gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Gentoo/Java integration Project Weekly report #2
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2011 15:06:43
1 Hi Serkan,
2
3 very glad to hear from you:)
4
5 On 2011年06月02日 00:10, Serkan Kaba wrote:
6
7 >> ------------------------progress of this week
8 >> --------------------------------
11 >> In this week I read a lot of Python docs and did a lot of practice.
12 >> During the time from a newbie of Python to now that I can say I'm quite
13 >> familiar with Python, I learned a lot.
14 > Great.
15 >> Base on that, I read through the java-config source code and add the two
16 >> functionalities to it as planned:
17 >> 1. add query package's javadoc path of specified package functionality.
18 >> *currently usage: java-config -D PACKAGE ,--javadoc=PACKAGE to do that
19 >> 2. add query package's javasrc path of specified package functionality.
20 >> *currently usage: java-config -C PACKAGE, --src=PACKAGE to do that.
21 >>
22 >> (if -D and/or -C options are not proper (eg reserved for other use,etc.)
23 >> or there are other considerations, please mention it in reply and I can
24 >> change to other words)
25 > We tend to use lowercase for query options and -c is unfortunately reserved.
26 Alright. I'll change to lowercase. And could you recommend two letters?
27 one for query javadoc and one for javasrc.
31 >> ---------------------------------issues-----------------------------------
32 >>
33 >> I've already mentioned the compatibility issue in my last weekly report.
34 >> But still I cannot decide a solution. Since my mentor is devaway(he
35 >> mentioned in his last mail),so ***I'd like to ask experienced developers
36 >> for help here***. And thanks in advance:
37 > Sorry for my unavailability, I was unable to read/reply emails during my
38 > trip. I'll try to cover up and get things on track ASAP.
39 >>
40 >> At my current knowledge of Python I think it is impossible to write one
41 >> code snippet in Exception handling that both compile in Python 2.5 and 3.1:
42 >>
43 >> Python 2.5 takes " except UnexistingPackageError, e" Syntax
44 >> while Python 3.1 takes "except UnexistingPackageError as e". Syntax.
45 >>
46 >> I have to write Python 2.5 compatible code( because the latest Jython is
47 >> 2.5 and I'm intended to use it in my eclipse plugin). But when emerging
48 >> my java-config[1], at "Compilation and optimization of Python modules
49 >> for CPython 3.1" stage, it gives this error:
50 >>
51 >> --------------------
52 >> * Compilation and optimization of Python modules for CPython 2.6 ...
53 >> * Compilation and optimization of Python modules for CPython 3.1 ...
54 >> *** Error compiling
55 >> /usr/lib64/python3.1/site-packages/java_config_2/EnvironmentManager.py ...
56 >> File
57 >> "/usr/lib64/python3.1/site-packages/java_config_2/EnvironmentManager.py", line
58 >> 59
59 >> except InvalidVMError, ex:
60 >> ^
61 >> SyntaxError: invalid syntax
62 >> <<<
63 >> /usr/lib64/python3.1/site-packages/java_config_2/EnvironmentManager.py[co [
64 >> !! ]
65 >> * Updating desktop mime database ...
66 >> ----------------------
67 >>
68 >> Since my improved version of java-config is intended to work in Python
69 >> 3.1 as well, one solution I thought is directly patch the src code to
70 >> let it in Python 3.1 Syntax after "* Compilation and optimization of
71 >> Python modules for CPython 2.6 ..." finishes and before
72 >> "* Compilation and optimization of Python modules for CPython 3.1 ..."
73 >> starts. The problem is that I've read java-config's ebuild but had
74 >> difficulties in locating at what function call this step happens. Also
75 >> I'm not sure patch in that time is acceptable or not.( I've read the
76 >> ebuild guild and it says all patches should normally be done in
77 >> src_prepare().)
78 > Patching in that stage is definitely an improper solution even if
79 > possible. As far as I read, their plan is to move on with 2.6
80 > development. Please ask either in #jython or their ML to see if they
81 > have a SVN branch that supports 2.6.
82
83 I've searched around their official site and not able to find official
84 plan statements about when Jython 2.6 would be available. So I plan to
85 ask on their ML. They have user ML and developer ML, before posting I
86 just want your suggestions that about this kind of question, which list
87 is better. Initially I prefer user ML cause I'm a Jython user using it
88 in my program, but my question is also related to dev stuff (ie future
89 plans). Just want to double check before action.
90 Thanks.
94 >> ***So I'd like ask for suggestions about dealing with this issue. Or
95 >> other possible ways.*** Thanks.
96 >>
97 >> --------------------Plans for next week
98 >> ---------------------------------------
99 >>
100 >> As my plans in proposal my javadoc and javasrc functionalities adding is
101 >> done in 3rd week of Gsoc time, so I'm one week ahead of plan. Ahead of
102 >> plan is good I think, and in my next week I'll:
103 >> 1.Besides asking for suggestions, I'll continue research by myself on
104 >> the above issue.
105 >> 2.Begin GenEclipse plugin work
109 >> [1] my branch of java-config:
110 >> http://overlays.gentoo.org/svn/proj/java/projects/java-config-2/branches/kylepan/java-config-2.1.9999k.ebuild