From: Zhitong He <hezhit@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Network Configuration in Gentoo
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 09:34:02
1 Hi, I have been trying to get involved with NetworkManager's integration
2 with Gentoo, but encounter some problems.
3
4 1. What network configuration in Gentoo does are not what NM can do.
5 Modular Networking in Gentoo is popular, however, they are not all
6 supported by NM. For example, bonding, bridging and vlan. In addition,
7 advanced configuration such as interface dependency, fall back operation,
8 are not supported by NM, too.
9
10 2. Configuration about Wireless Networking is not powerful enough.
11 Security wireless connection is a strong point of NM, however, not the
12 network configuration of Gentoo. Though we can choose wpa_supplicant module
13 for security connection, the configuration depends on wpa_supplicant's
14 configuration files which has its own syntax and not worth translation back
15 to NM using plugin, since NM is already working with wpa_supplicant via dbus
16 communication.
17
18 So, what's the benefit for Gentoo and what I can do if choosing the
19 project?
20 Working with syntax in network configuration file like config_<interface>
21 and config_<essid> is pleasure, but is that enough? they are only little
22 part of Gentoo's network configuration file. The work should focus on
23 settings for NM, but settings in Gentoo's network configuration rely on
24 various tools according to different modules and the syntax is not unified.
25 Will mentor let me pass the final evaluation if only part of the
26 configuration is support? :-)
27
28 My conclusion is that we should do more work on improving the way to
29 configure network in Gentoo instead of NM integration, if we need to make it
30 easily supported by various network control daemon. For example, focus on
31 settings for variable control like /etc/make.conf instead of syntax as
32 wpa_supplicant_wlan0="-Dwext", put it from a single file(/etc/conf.d/net) to
33 a specified directory, where we can also place the vpn keys, pem files..
34
35 Sorry for my poor English, I would explain further if you could not
36 understand my opinion. Feedback and comments are welcome.
39 Zhitong He