From: Rahul Jain <rahul@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Cc: Zhitong He <hezhit@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Network Configuration in Gentoo
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 10:01:53
1 On Tuesday 06 April 2010 11:33:25 Zhitong He wrote:
2 > Hi, I have been trying to get involved with NetworkManager's integration
3 > with Gentoo, but encounter some problems.
4 >
5 > 1. What network configuration in Gentoo does are not what NM can do.
6 > Modular Networking in Gentoo is popular, however, they are not all
7 > supported by NM. For example, bonding, bridging and vlan. In addition,
8 > advanced configuration such as interface dependency, fall back operation,
9 > are not supported by NM, too.
12 The major advantage of NM (as is often cited) is the fact that it provides a
13 unified UI for managing wired(Ethernet, DSL, PPP), wireless and vpn
14 connections. It allows automatic reconnection on network loss, allows you to
15 automatically connect to a preferred wireless network (if found) and allows
16 hotplugging of the ethernet cable. Conventionally speaking, these tasks would
17 take care of the networking needs of a vast majority of end users. Bonding,
18 bridging and others are advanced networking tasks that one does not expect a
19 "normal" user to perform on a day to day basis.
20 So, the only advantage of NM is that gives you a sane UI to perform your day
21 to day networking tasks.
22
23 > 2. Configuration about Wireless Networking is not powerful enough.
24 > Security wireless connection is a strong point of NM, however, not the
25 > network configuration of Gentoo. Though we can choose wpa_supplicant
26 > module for security connection, the configuration depends on
27 > wpa_supplicant's configuration files which has its own syntax and not
28 > worth translation back to NM using plugin, since NM is already working
29 > with wpa_supplicant via dbus communication.
32 I have not used NM for quite a long time (I use WICD for managing my internet
33 connections) but as far as I know (and understand your question) the end user
34 does not need to write config files by hand for managing wireless networks in
35 NM. I recently did try the Ubuntu Live CD (the Ubuntu folks do a great job of
36 integrating NM) and NM was able to connect to the encrypted Uni network after
37 I provided it with the username and password. For WICD, I had to create a
38 template using the provided wpa_supplicant file. I think it might be helpful
39 for you to look into what Ubuntu does in this regard.
40
41 > So, what's the benefit for Gentoo and what I can do if choosing the
42 > project?
43 > Working with syntax in network configuration file like config_<interface>
44 > and config_<essid> is pleasure, but is that enough? they are only little
45 > part of Gentoo's network configuration file. The work should focus on
46 > settings for NM, but settings in Gentoo's network configuration rely on
47 > various tools according to different modules and the syntax is not unified.
48 > Will mentor let me pass the final evaluation if only part of the
49 > configuration is support? :-)
52 As far as I know, there are already two methods of managing networks in
53 gentoo. Those using openrc already do things a little differently than those
54 who are not. (Please correct me if I am mistaken). The main advantage for
55 gentoo would be to provide end users with a straight forward way of managing
56 their network connections.
57
58 > My conclusion is that we should do more work on improving the way to
59 > configure network in Gentoo instead of NM integration, if we need to make
60 > it easily supported by various network control daemon. For example, focus
61 > on settings for variable control like /etc/make.conf instead of syntax as
62 > wpa_supplicant_wlan0="-Dwext", put it from a single file(/etc/conf.d/net)
63 > to a specified directory, where we can also place the vpn keys, pem
64 > files..
67 This is indeed a good idea. I am not qualified to comment on what needs to be
68 achieved as part of GSoc project but I think any major steps to improve
69 network management in gentoo would be welcome by all. I am no fan of NM so my
70 views might be a little bit coloured in this regard, but even then I still
71 think that due to the popularity of NM it would be a good idea to have it
72 integrated into Gentoo. Maybe you could also look into making it gnome-
73 independent (or kde-independent in the case of knetworkmanager) so that it can
74 be used as a networking tool by people using other WMs/DMs as well.
75
76 > Sorry for my poor English, I would explain further if you could not
77 > understand my opinion. Feedback and comments are welcome.
78
79 I hope I might be able to answer some of your questions, I am no expert
80 myself. :)
81
82 Cheers
83 Rahul