From: EBo <ebo@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] We need your ideas for the Google Summer of Code
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 19:46:27
1 On Feb 21 2014 12:21 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 1:00 PM, EBo <ebo@×××××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Feb 21 2014 9:02 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >>> I don't profess to have closely investigated, but I take it that it
5 >>> wouldn't make sense to just use networkd instead? It seems to me
6 >>> that
7 >>> configuring a network isn't exactly a Gentoo-specific problem.
10 >> That is what I had set up before, which is either incompatible with
11 >> systemd
12 >> or I mucked thigs up as part of the transition.
13 >
14 > Networkd is a part of systemd, so I imagine it is intended to be
15 > compatible. :)
16
17 good to know. I guess that solves it -- I simply mucked something up
18 with the bridging ;-)
19
20 >> The real question for Gentoo/GSoC is the future directions of
21 >> Arch-Linux, its relation to Gentoo (if any), and what should we do
23 >> start moving in appropriate directions before it becomes
24 >> necessary...
25 >
26 > What does Arch have to do with this?
27
28 I was hoping to fact check what I am about to say, but I cannot find
29 the relevant details at my fingertips, and this weekend is insanely
30 busy...
31
32 Recently Debian decided to accept and migrate over to systemd to be
33 compatible with SysV and LSB init scripts. There are similar
34 discussions happening in the Slackware community. I cannot remember if
35 Gentoo was originally based on Debian, Slackware, or some other distro,
36 but it seems a lot of the distros are starting to migrate to unified
37 systemd init. I forget where Arch-Linux came into this, but I think
38 they helped move Debian to accepting systemd.
39
40 It would take me a little effort to sort out the connections of how all
41 this is interrelated, but that is what got me started down this nine.
42
43 Over the weekend I will take another poke at the bridging problem, but
44 I do find it painful to try to figure out which of the dozens of
45 different ways to do things are current best practises, antiquated, or
46 just plain stupid... Wish me luck ;-) Thanks for pointing back at the
47 networkd docs.
48
49 EBo --
50