From: Alice Ferrazzi <alicef@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] GSoC'18 : Interest in "Gentoo CJK Support"
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2018 06:41:47
1 Hello Ryan,
2
3 Welcome to the list!
4
5 On Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 4:31 AM, Ryan Jones <rmjone21@×××.edu> wrote:
6 > Hello Gentoo Team,
7 >
8 > My name is Ryan Jones and I am a junior studying Computer Engineering and
9 > Chinese at Arizona State University.
10 >
11 > My Experience with Gentoo: I come from an Arch Linux background and made
12 the
13 > switch to Gentoo for a few reasons. I wanted to get a deeper understanding
14 > of the Linux internals by learning how to manually configure the kernel
15 and
16 > build from source. I also like how Gentoo uses OpenRC by default. The
17 Gentoo
18 > community has been very helpful and I want to help give back to the
19 > community through contribution.
22 Your experience with Gentoo is really appreciated and is really awesome
23 that you are
24 interested in contributing on the CJK project.
25
26 > I am interested in the Gentoo CJK Support Project as it most aligns with
27 my
28 > interests. I believe the project would help me explore both areas of study
29 > in my university. The project requires C,C++,BASH, and ebuild. I am
30 strongly
31 > proficient in C,C++, and BASH. Although I have not used ebuild before, I
32 > plan to start currently learning it. I think better CJK support would help
33 > with using Gentoo for my Chinese assignments un university.
34 >
35 > Looking forward to learning more from the community.
36
37 Gentoo CJK project needs a big support effort and your interest is really
38 appreciated!
39 Having already experience with C, C++ and bash is really a good start.
40
41 I suggest that you start working on the CJK bugs [1], you can find such
42 bugs on
43 Gentoo Bugzilla [2].
44 Look into the related packages in the Gentoo repository [3] and figure out
45 what's missing.
46 Feel free to ask on this list along with your preparation.
47 Then you can come back with a feasible plan for the summer.
48
49 [1] cjk@g.o
50 [2]
51 https://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?cmdtype=dorem&remaction=run&namedcmd=cjk&sharer_id=86336
52 [3]
53 https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/search?l=XML&q=cjk%40gentoo.org&type=&utf8=%E2%9C%93
57 Thanks,
58 Alice Ferrazzi
59
60 Gentoo Kernel Project Leader
61 Gentoo Foundation Vice-Secretary
62 Gentoo Google Summer of Code Administrator
63 Mail: Alice Ferrazzi <alicef@g.o>
64 PGP: 2E4E 0856 461C 0585 1336 F496 5621 A6B2 8638 781A