From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Weekly report 07/30
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2018 18:30:34
1 Hi!
2
3 On Sun, 29 Jul 2018 08:36:14 -0700 Brian Dolbec wrote:
4 > > While I am not directly involved with gsoc this year... I can't help
5 > > but to respond here.
6 > >
7 > > Reports like this were not acceptable in past years.
8 > >
9 > > Just showing a link to a report is not enough.
10 > >
11 > > A PROPER report here should include enough info to give the reader an
12 > > idea if they want to follow the link and get all the details.
13 > >
14 > > While I don't expect a 3 page essay, you should summarize what was
15 > > done in brief, but clear writing. The link to the full detailed
16 > > report at the end.
17 >
18 > I should have followed the link before responding...
19 >
20 > The link contents is no more than a brief summary. I didn't do a word
21 > count, but, I think my previous reply was about the same size... So
22 > how hard would it have been to copy/paste that text into an email...
23 >
24 > But I still find that report lacking for a detailed report. You should
25 > have included some details of what was done for the automatic setup.
26 >
27 > Also, why are your user guides just in a blog? Shouldn't the user guides
28 > be added to the Gentoo wiki? Blog guide info I would think would only
29 > be for brief preliminary help info for mentors and other actively
30 > interested persons. So as the project progressed, they could keep up
31 > to date with the code. But the real documentation should in my
32 > opinion be put somewhere central like our Gentoo wiki.
33
34 Brian, looks like you missed our workflow. Weekly e-mail reports
35 are just pointers to the work done this week and documented in the
36 blog.
37
38 The blog entry itself is exactly what you described as "you should
39 summarize what was done in brief, but clear writing. The link to
40 the full detailed report at the end." It contains clear summary
41 with each paragraph linked to the detailed technical or
42 workflow description. Just follow the links on the blog page:
43 https://jsteward.moe/category/gsoc-2018.html
44 (the first link is broken now by some typo and will be fixed).
45
46 As for documenting in the wiki, please see previous week's report:
47 https://jsteward.moe/weekly-report-0723.html
48 So moving essential parts of the blog posts to the wiki is on the
49 plan.
50
51 But frankly having the job done and documentation written is more
52 important than bikeshedding about where the docs must be located.
53 IMHO Wiki is not the best place for them, for one of the reasons ask
54 williamh why.
55
56 Best regards,
57 Andrew Savchenko