From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Weekly report 07/30
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2018 15:36:20
1 On Sun, 29 Jul 2018 08:20:01 -0700
2 Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Sun, 29 Jul 2018 21:40:30 +0800
5 > Pengcheng Xu <i@××××××××.moe> wrote:
6 >
7 > > Hi all,
8 > >
9 > > Last week's report is available now. Link:
10 > >
11 > > https://jsteward.moe/weekly-report-0730.html
12 > >
13 > > Thanks!
16 > While I am not directly involved with gsoc this year... I can't help
17 > but to respond here.
18 >
19 > Reports like this were not acceptable in past years.
20 >
21 > Just showing a link to a report is not enough.
22 >
23 > A PROPER report here should include enough info to give the reader an
24 > idea if they want to follow the link and get all the details.
25 >
26 > While I don't expect a 3 page essay, you should summarize what was
27 > done in brief, but clear writing. The link to the full detailed
28 > report at the end.
29
30 I should have followed the link before responding...
31
32 The link contents is no more than a brief summary. I didn't do a word
33 count, but, I think my previous reply was about the same size... So
34 how hard would it have been to copy/paste that text into an email...
35
36 But I still find that report lacking for a detailed report. You should
37 have included some details of what was done for the automatic setup.
38
39 Also, why are your user guides just in a blog? Shouldn't the user guides
40 be added to the Gentoo wiki? Blog guide info I would think would only
41 be for brief preliminary help info for mentors and other actively
42 interested persons. So as the project progressed, they could keep up
43 to date with the code. But the real documentation should in my
44 opinion be put somewhere central like our Gentoo wiki.