From: Ethan Kiang <chocopuff298@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Interest in GSoC w/ Gentoo
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2018 17:12:42
1 Hi,
2
3 My name is Ethan and I'm currently a high school senior. Attending uni next
4 year, so I should be elligible to apply to the GSoC.
5
6 Quick background, I first started using Linux in the August of 2016.
7 Started with a few weeks of Ubuntu, then a few months of Arch Linux. On
8 Gentoo Linux since March of last year. Loving Gentoo so far.
9
10 I'm interested in both the Binhost API support and Social Linux
11 distribution network ideas posted on the GSoC ideas wiki page. I believe
12 that compile times is one of the factors that turns potentially interested
13 users away from Gentoo. These two ideas, specifically better Binhost
14 support, will hopefully make slow compile less of a factor against choosing
15 Gentoo as a distro.
16
17 I'm interested in hearing more about how you guys expect the Social Linux
18 network to function. Currently, I have some inspiration from nixOS. I have
19 not used nix before, but the way nix handles configuration is pretty cool.
20 It is all done in one central location. Maybe it would be cool to implement
21 something similar on Gentoo.
22
23 Link that might help explain ore:
24 https://nixos.org/nixos/manual/index.html#sec-configuration-syntax
25
26 However, I think this might be too limiting / simplistic for the multitude
27 of choices that Gentoo offers. It would make sharing configs easy. Each
28 system would be uniquely defined by the config file.
29
30 I go by chocopuff on freenode. My GH is zyklotomic (nothing to see there
31 though). I have played around with ebuilds a bit, enough to know how to
32 version bump and attempt submitting PRs. My bugzilla account is also tied
33 to this email address. I have much to learn, am still a newbie!
34
35 Thanks for reading! Looking forward to hearing back.
36
37 Best,
38 Ethan Kiang