From: Alice Ferrazzi <alicef@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Interest in GSoC w/ Gentoo
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2018 15:14:34
1 On Thu, Feb 15, 2018 at 2:11 AM, Ethan Kiang <chocopuff298@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > My name is Ethan and I'm currently a high school senior. Attending uni
5 next
6 > year, so I should be elligible to apply to the GSoC.
7
8 Hello Ethan,
9
10 Welcome to Gentoo GSoC mailing list.
13 > Quick background, I first started using Linux in the August of 2016.
14 Started
15 > with a few weeks of Ubuntu, then a few months of Arch Linux. On Gentoo
16 Linux
17 > since March of last year. Loving Gentoo so far.
20 Thanks for loving Gentoo and for your passion on Linux.
21
22 > I'm interested in both the Binhost API support and Social Linux
23 distribution
24 > network ideas posted on the GSoC ideas wiki page. I believe that compile
25 > times is one of the factors that turns potentially interested users away
26 > from Gentoo. These two ideas, specifically better Binhost support, will
27 > hopefully make slow compile less of a factor against choosing Gentoo as a
28 > distro.
29
30 I think you can find more inspiration in the thread about building binary
31 packages and
32 Social Linux Distribution Network:
33 https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/3a801271d2b3ac97c29b4e6319b37009
34
35 There was some interested in integrating Gentoo with the Open Build
36 Service, one problem
37 quoting Michał Górny is "if it requires changes to the ebuild format, then
38 you
39 have to list them and convince us. If it doesn't, then you are free to
40 play with OBS any way you like."
41 Would be nice to maybe do some research in that way and see if it can
42 become some work for the GSoC.
43 The second point was about sharing the Gentoo user's profile setups and
44 give the possibility
45 to use a build service in case multiple machines are using the same profile.
46 I think you need to do a bit of research and starting to take data for
47 write a proposal.
50 > I'm interested in hearing more about how you guys expect the Social Linux
51 > network to function. Currently, I have some inspiration from nixOS. I have
52 > not used nix before, but the way nix handles configuration is pretty cool.
53 > It is all done in one central location. Maybe it would be cool to
54 implement
55 > something similar on Gentoo.
56 >
57 > Link that might help explain ore:
58 > https://nixos.org/nixos/manual/index.html#sec-configuration-syntax
59 >
60 > However, I think this might be too limiting / simplistic for the multitude
61 > of choices that Gentoo offers. It would make sharing configs easy. Each
62 > system would be uniquely defined by the config file.
63
64 I'm not sure how Nix works but looks interesting.
67 > I go by chocopuff on freenode. My GH is zyklotomic (nothing to see there
68 > though). I have played around with ebuilds a bit, enough to know how to
69 > version bump and attempt submitting PRs. My bugzilla account is also tied
71 > this email address. I have much to learn, am still a newbie!
72
73 Keep the good work!
76 > Thanks for reading! Looking forward to hearing back.
77 >
78 > Best,
79 > Ethan Kiang
80
81 Thanks,
82 Alice
85 Thanks,
86 Alice Ferrazzi
87
88 Gentoo Kernel Project Leader
89 Gentoo Foundation Vice-Secretary
90 Gentoo Google Summer of Code Administrator
91 Mail: Alice Ferrazzi <alicef@g.o>
92 PGP: 2E4E 0856 461C 0585 1336 F496 5621 A6B2 8638 781A