From: Ethan Kiang <chocopuff298@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Interest in GSoC w/ Gentoo
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2018 11:59:24
1 Hi!
2
3 I'm here with an update. I've went to check out more about nixOS, and how
4 their .nix configuration ideas could be applied to Gentoo. What I found out
5 was, one main advantage/selling point of nixOS is that it is takes a
6 functional approach to package/system management, resulting in no
7 side-effects (only have limited FP experience so sorry if that isn't
8 accurate description). I think we can use some of these ideas in the
9 creation of a configuration distribution system.
10
11 ***If you're familiar with nix, you can skip the section below***
12
13 Some more detailed explanation:
14
15 Everything can and should be configured through this base .nix config file,
16 files such as in /etc/foo-config too. You don't want to manually edit the
17 file since that will create a side effect! Therefore, if you change the
18 .nix configuration file in the distro, you essentially rebuild an entire
19 new system. The nix package manager does some clever re-arrangement and
20 re-connecting of symlinks, otherwise, making new changes would warrant an
21 undesirable and intensive complete rebuild from scratch. Because of this
22 approach, changes are very easily revertible too. Buzzword I learned:
23 "atomic", which supposedly describes this nature of being able to restore
24 to a working state. IIRC, there was an Atomic Gentoo GSoC proposal a while
25 back. May be it.
26
27 Most importantly though, what attracted me into looking into nixOS was that
28 essentially, a configuration file defines the system. This is the main
29 selling point. In short, this is some serious abstraction. Apparently, /usr
30 and /root is read-only to even root. After all, you don't need to and
31 shouldn't have to touch it.
32
33 *** End of nix explanation ***
34
35 A few things to keep in mind however. Nix was built from the ground up to
36 be functional. Gentoo prides itself in being a meta-distribution, so I
37 think maybe it is possible to implement a functional configuration approach
38 too as a choice. However, this might be a big undertaking, requiring
39 perhaps major edits of portage or another pkg manager, which is maybe too
40 ambitious for the scope of GSoC. Also, maybe there isn't demand for
41 functional configuration on Gentoo.
42
43 Maybe we should look into other ways / solutions to share Gentoo
44 configurations.
47 Apologies if I made any factual mistakes. Do correct me, as I am still in
48 the process of understanding stuff correctly. Thanks for taking the time to
49 read!
50
51 Best,
52 Ethan