From: Benda Xu <heroxbd@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Application for Google Summer of Code 2018-Mishal Roy
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2018 00:50:14
1 Hi Mishal,
2
3 Mishal Roy <roymishal210@×××××.com> writes:
4
5 > Yes I will download the Xiaomi boot image by ebuild.
6 >
7 > I had proposed this small project so that it can be successfully
8 > completed within the time frame of three months.
9
10 > Eliminating the concept of boot image is feasible.
11
12 > If you recommend, I would like to extend my proposal by adding it.
13
14 Yes, it is my recommendation to extend the reach of this project. I
15 understand your position to play it safe to guarantee success. But a
16 single ebuild is not of much interest to me personally for 3 months
17 work.
18
19 You have the final word, as this is your project application.
20
21 > Aboot the application bootloader of Redmi Note 4 reads boot image and
22 > loads kernel+ramdisk into RAM.
23
24 > On the other hand, bootloader on computer reads kernel and ramdisk
25 > ,and loads those into RAM.
26
27 > We can make Aboot function like a computer bootloader by editing its
28 > source code [1].
29
30 > However we will require Xiaomi's permission to allow us install the
31 > newly built Aboot because Aboot gets checked by SBL(Secondary boot
32 > loader) [2].
33
34 By "boot image" I think you mean the Android userland image for /system.
35 I don't see the need to modify application bootloader if we build our
36 own "boot image" and application bootloader is unlocked to accept
37 unsigned "boot image".
38
39 Did I miss something?
42 > I recently got familiar with basics of Gentoo.
43 > I have been using Ubuntu since 2 years.
44 > I have Ubuntu on my desktop computer and laptop.
45 > I use Ubuntu for compiling ASM, C and MATLAB codes.
46 > I also use it for running Guitarix,Rakarrack ( virtual guitar amplifiers) and Audacity sound recorder.
47 > Through Ubuntu I got to know about initramfs as well as list of services that are started by sysvinit and upstart.
48 > i.e. udev, pulseaudio , x-sever, lightdm, dbus, cron etc.
49 > I have experimented with these sevices by starting and stopping.
50 > I have not contributed to any community or solved bugs so far.
51 > I have Dell Venue 7 3740 which is an Intel powered Android device.This device is my main device for Android development.
52 > https://opensource.dell.com/releases/Venue_7_3740_Merrifield/developer-edition/A195/
53
54 Very impressive, I see your experience and potential. It would help if
55 you summarize your strong points into the application in the Biography
56 section, after sorting out the major target of your project.
57
58 > 1. https://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/SRM-HOWTO/aboot.html
59 > 2. https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/general/info-android-device-partitions-basic-t3586565/amp/
60