From: UnderSampled <undersampled@××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o, Gunwant Jain <therealgunwant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Weekly Report: Portage Powered Android
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2020 03:50:34
1 Where is the IRC logged? I generally only catch up on my phone, and haven't been able to check the IRC after the Gitter bridge failed.
2
3 Stephen
4
5 On July 1, 2020 12:53:54 PM EDT, Gunwant Jain <therealgunwant@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >Thanks for your comments Pengcheng.
7 >
8 >On 20/07/01 10:07PM, Pengcheng Xu wrote:
9 >> It's good that you chose to get familiar with the GNU build system
10 >(autotools); it will save you large amounts of time when meddling with
11 >toolchain-related work. I would also suggest taking a look at the "GNU
12 >Hello" project; it serves as a genuine example of the basics for a GNU
13 >project, which GCC is as well. Get familiar with how to read the
14 >configuration and compilation logs, especially when they're littered
15 >with libtool calls instead of directly calling the compiler.
16 >
17 >Thanks for the tip, I will definitely look into it.
18 >
19 >> > But while building the toolchain, I was not able to compile `gcc`
20 >as
21 >> > I was riddled with errors along the way. Most of them are related
22 >to the
23 >> > newer `gcc` (version 9.x) finding incompatibility in the sources of
24 >the
25 >> > `gcc` I am trying to build (version 4.9).
26 >> > I will continue to build the toolchain and hopefully move onto
27 >> > separating `Bionic` from the other side of Android mid-week.
28 >>
29 >> Just as Benda pointed out, 4.9 may be the one I chose two years ago,
30 >but it's not a hard requirement: most Android things should compile
31 >fine with any newer versions of GCC as long as the toolchain is
32 >correctly configured for an Android target; in many occasions even
33 >Clang works perfectly fine. You may try to fix the problems in the 4.9
34 >tree, tweak the options for the "build" compiler (gcc-9) to accept
35 >older, non-compliant sources, or try to find a newer version of GCC
36 >source tree with Android (i.e. Bionic) support. You may have better
37 >luck looking for such a source tree in the AOSP codebase.
38 >
39 >I agree, and I just realised that even though NDK requires gcc-4.9,
40 >Android 8.0 and above uses Clang for compilation. This differs from my
41 >days of compiling custom ROMs (pre Android 8). I am sorry for the
42 >confusion created with gcc, I should have known better.
43 >
44 >Let me switch to building a clang based toolchain now onwards.
45 >
46 >> And, we'd love to see a link to your weekly writeup of your efforts
47 >and problems encountered in greater detail. We can find out more about
48 >your progress and perhaps provide assistance if we can see the exact
49 >problem; for example, it would be helpful if you quoted or linked to
50 >the exact error message in the gcc build process you just mentioned.
51 >It's also a good idea to keep these in track for archival purposes,
52 >such that future contributors can have an idea of what's going on if
53 >they run into the same problem.
54 >
55 >I wasn't planning on keeping the logs of errors I face, but since it is
56 >requested, I will provide them in a new segment of "weekly blogs" now
57 >onwards (keeping in mind that I have switched to using clang based
58 >toolchains). Furthermore, I will be actively indicating the errors in
59 >the IRC chatroom, which is logged as well.
60 >
61 >Please let me know if you have more comments.
62 >
63 >Regards,
64 >Gunwant
67 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.