From: Auke Booij <auke@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Graphical portage front-end
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 11:44:10
1 First things first, I would not know why someone should be using a
2 graphical installer instead of xterm or one of its colleagues.
3
4 Anyway, the problems you are pointing out are exactly what you're
5 sacrificing by using a GUI, and exactly the reason Gentoo doesn't have
6 a graphical installer (or one that you should be using, anyway). A lot
7 of Portage's configuration consists of bash scripts, and any attempt
8 to fully reproduce their capabilities in a GUI would lead to a big
9 mess (point-and-click programming, *sigh*). If someone desperately
10 wants a GUI, it would be for daily Portage activities, and definitely
11 not for obscure feature x or y.
12
13 Further, resolving dependencies is, in my opinion, outside the scope
14 of a GUI. Functionality that isn't present in the command-line version
15 of some program shouldn't be added just for the GUI version.
16
17 That said, I'm sure some people would love a GUI integration of
18 different package management tools (ie. search, install, sync...) into
19 one big package, and it would definitely be a nice improvement to
20 Sabayon.
21
22 tulcod.
23