From: Manjeet Singh <itsmanjeet1998@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Openrc performance improvement
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2020 17:36:01
1 My name is Manjeet Singh, I am a 3rd year CSE student from Guru Gobind
2 Singh Indraprastha University, Delhi, India
3
4 for my GSOC 2020 I want to work on Openrc init system of Gentoo by
5 improving its performance. Currently openrc is using a lot of tools and
6 processes to start a simple service scripts (POSIX shell,
7 start-stop-daemon, rc-depends, rc-sstat...) and use shell to parse init
8 scripts. these things make openrc slow to start services and result in slow
9 bootup, so idea is to develop some native tools for openrc that will parse
10 the service scripts files, check prerequisites, start services daemons or
11 commands.
12
13 I used openrc under gentoo, and setup it on arch, void and lfs, and found
14 it really awesome (i don't like systemd) and found openrc a better
15 alternative of systemd. Also i already a simple and minimal service manager
16 like tool that will parse a service file in INI format and start or stop a
17 service. I will now trying to developed some similar tools for openrc to
18 boost its performance and i found gsoc 2020 a better way to interact with
19 this organization and develop this tools under proper guidance.
20
21 any further guidelines about the possibilities and issue will be very
22 helpful
23 Thanks for the time and consideration