From: Benda Xu <heroxbd@g.o>
To: Manjeet Singh <itsmanjeet1998@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Openrc performance improvement
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2020 23:51:30
1 Hi Manjeet,
2
3 It is really awesome to have you propose your own project.
4
5 Manjeet Singh <itsmanjeet1998@×××××.com> writes:
6
7 > My name is Manjeet Singh, I am a 3rd year CSE student from Guru Gobind
8 > Singh Indraprastha University, Delhi, India
9 >
10 > for my GSOC 2020 I want to work on Openrc init system of Gentoo by
11 > improving its performance. Currently openrc is using a lot of tools
12 > and processes to start a simple service scripts (POSIX shell,
13 > start-stop-daemon, rc-depends, rc-sstat...) and use shell to parse
14 > init scripts. these things make openrc slow to start services and
15 > result in slow bootup, so idea is to develop some native tools for
16 > openrc that will parse the service scripts files, check prerequisites,
17 > start services daemons or commands.
18
19 Honestly, I don't think boot-up speed is that important. Anyway, you
20 should measure it first to understand where the bottleneck is.
21
22 I regard using several small tools and shell scripts a big selling point
23 of OpenRC being understandable, hackable and extensible.
24
25 > I used openrc under gentoo, and setup it on arch, void and lfs, and
26 > found it really awesome (i don't like systemd) and found openrc a
27 > better alternative of systemd. Also i already a simple and minimal
28 > service manager like tool that will parse a service file in INI format
29 > and start or stop a service. I will now trying to developed some
30 > similar tools for openrc to boost its performance and i found gsoc
31 > 2020 a better way to interact with this organization and develop this
32 > tools under proper guidance.
33
34 I am co-mentoring at Debian GSoC for making a systemd unit compatible
35 layer for OpenRC[1]. With systemd units being popular among upstreams,
36 that will make OpenRC more future-proof. If you are not falimiar with
37 Debian, you could choose to reuse that idea at Gentoo.
38
39 > any further guidelines about the possibilities and issue will be very
40 > helpful Thanks for the time and consideration
41
42 Thank you for expressing interest on OpenRC.
43
44 Yours,
45 Benda
46