From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Cc: Antoine Pinsard <antoine.pinsard@×××××××××××.fr>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Project Proposal : GenCC for "Gentoo Community Compiling"
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 14:02:18
1 On 02/18/2013 09:29 PM, Antoine Pinsard wrote:
2 [snip]
3 > The project is to make a tool to ease and encourage cross compiling
4 > between Gentoo users. Basically, there would be two programs:
5 >
6 > * genccd, a daemon that any Gentoo (or derived) root user could start
7 > and which wait for external requests to process a compilation.
8 > * gencc, a tool that looks for the nearest computers running genccd and
9 > ask them to process a part of the job required by the command passed as
10 > parameter. (e.g `gencc emerge -uDN --with-bdeps=y @world`).
11
12 So, how do you handle people being evil? What happens if my genccd
13 always returns 0-byte files? what if it adds random things to execute
14 code on the user's system?
15
16 How do you manage to get a precise environment (including useflags,
17 correct gcc version, ...) onto the compile host? Wouldn't that be slower
18 than building it locally?
19
20 > This is a very basic approach of the tool but I think it gives the main
21 > idea of the projet. I would like to have your opinion on whether it
22 > could be a gsoc project or not. And if it could, what backgrounds it
23 > would require. I think this is much more about networking and security
24 > than compiling (though it would require at least a basic knowledge of
25 > distcc).
26
27 It's an idea that comes up every year, but is usually shot down as being
28 impractical or having serious security flaws.
31 > Thanks in advance,
32 >
33 > Antoine Pinsard
34 >
35 Thanks for your interest, and maybe we can figure out something that
36 works this year :)
37
38 Patrick