From: Benda Xu <heroxbd@g.o>
To: Mishal Roy <roymishal210@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Application for Google Summer of Code 2018-Mishal Roy
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2018 04:09:46
1 Hi Mishal,
2
3 Mishal Roy <roymishal210@×××××.com> writes:
4
5 > As a proof of my proposed concept I have written a kernel ebuild which
6 > successfully builds x86 linux kernel from source code present in
7 > /usr/src/linux directory of Gentoo liveDVD. I have attached the ebuild
8 > and images related to it.
9
10 Thank you for trying this out.
11
12 You still have a lot to learn about the basics of ebuild. Alice is on
13 the Kernel Team. She might have more to comment.
14
15 > x86kernelbuild-1.0.ebuild
16
17 The version number should be the same as upstream. No
18 architecture-specific name, like 'x86, should be used in the name.
19
20 > EAPI=0
21
22 EAPI=0 is no longer encourage in Gentoo. Check out EAPI-6
23
24 > DESCRIPTION="This is an ebuild that compiles x86 linux kernel"
25
26 > SLOT="0"
27
28 > KEYWORDS="~x86"
29
30 > pkg_preinst()
31
32 pkg_preinst is not used like this. Check out src_compile.
35 > {
36 > cd /usr/src/linux
37 > make ARCH=x86 i386_defconfig
38 > make && make modules_install
39 > }
40
41 > builds x86 linux kernel from source code present in /usr/src/linux
42 > directory of Gentoo liveDVD
43
44 This is not how Gentoo ebuild works, the build should prepare the source
45 code.
48 Kernel is a specific piece of software. Traditionally users take care
49 of the final installation. But there is a genkernel helper to automate
50 the process. Please check out
51
52 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Genkernel
53