From: Ivan Kabaivanov <chepati@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-sparc] Booting the system...
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 21:55:58
1 On Thursday 27 March 2008 19:05, Ferris McCormick wrote:
2 > On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 17:06:47 -0400
5 [snip]
6
7 > > you're almost there. Get the binary firmware from
8 > > ftp://ftp.qlogic.com/outgoing/linux/firmware (just get the .bin files,
9 > > not the .bin-version files). There are five or six files altogether.
10 > > You don't need all, but they are relatively small so it's no big deal
11 > > putting all of them in /lib/firmware.
12 >
13 > Actually, you can get the firmware by
14 > emerge qla-fc-firmware
15 > (We have a package for it).
16 >
17 > Also, if you want to try it, you can now use genkernel for building
18 > this (although it sounds like you are close enough that you would
19 > likely lose time that way). The trick with genkernel is that the
20 > stable version probably will not work, but the ~sparc version will
21 > (that is, sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.10_pre7).
22 >
23 > > Make sure on the initramfs you have /etc/udev/rules.d/ with appropriate
24 > > rules, including one to handle firmware loading. Also make sure you have
25 > > on the initramfs /lib/udev/firmware.sh. This script is part of udev.
26 > > Just copy it.
27 >
28 > Interesting. Does that approach work? (I guess it must because you
29 > seem to be using it.) Normally, the qla2xxxx driver loads the firmware
30 > (and when you use genkernel, you also build the driver as a module and
31 > put the firmware into the initrd). I'm interested to see how this
32 > works.
33
34 Ferris,
35
36 Indeed it works -- that's the way our ipcop-sparc initramfs loads the
37 firmware. I did try it without udev but simply modprobing the module did not
38 load the firmware.
39
40 If you're interested I can send you our ipcop-sparc initramfs image.
41
42 IvanK.
43
44 [snip]