From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Cc: chepati@×××××.com, armin76@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-sparc] Booting the system...
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 22:58:10
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 15:23:33 -0400
5 Ivan Kabaivanov <chepati@×××××.com> wrote:
6
7 > On Thursday 27 March 2008 19:05, Ferris McCormick wrote:
8 > > On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 17:06:47 -0400
11 > [snip]
12 >
13 > > > you're almost there. Get the binary firmware from
14 > > > ftp://ftp.qlogic.com/outgoing/linux/firmware (just get the .bin files,
15 > > > not the .bin-version files). There are five or six files altogether.
16 > > > You don't need all, but they are relatively small so it's no big deal
17 > > > putting all of them in /lib/firmware.
18 > >
19 > > Actually, you can get the firmware by
20 > > emerge qla-fc-firmware
21 > > (We have a package for it).
22 > >
23 > > Also, if you want to try it, you can now use genkernel for building
24 > > this (although it sounds like you are close enough that you would
25 > > likely lose time that way). The trick with genkernel is that the
26 > > stable version probably will not work, but the ~sparc version will
27 > > (that is, sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.10_pre7).
28 > >
29 > > > Make sure on the initramfs you have /etc/udev/rules.d/ with appropriate
30 > > > rules, including one to handle firmware loading. Also make sure you have
31 > > > on the initramfs /lib/udev/firmware.sh. This script is part of udev.
32 > > > Just copy it.
33 > >
34 > > Interesting. Does that approach work? (I guess it must because you
35 > > seem to be using it.) Normally, the qla2xxxx driver loads the firmware
36 > > (and when you use genkernel, you also build the driver as a module and
37 > > put the firmware into the initrd). I'm interested to see how this
38 > > works.
39 >
40 > Ferris,
41 >
42 > Indeed it works -- that's the way our ipcop-sparc initramfs loads the
43 > firmware. I did try it without udev but simply modprobing the module did not
44 > load the firmware.
45 >
46 > If you're interested I can send you our ipcop-sparc initramfs image.
47 >
48 > IvanK.
49 >
50 > [snip]
51 > d
54 I think I know what it must look like. I'm just trying to guess why it
55 works. I guess that udev must set up the devices, because the driver
56 can't without the firmware. Clearly you've thought about this a lot
57 more than I have. (Or maybe I'm just confusing myself. :) )
58
59 Raúl, this might be of use to you?
60 > --
61 > gentoo-sparc@l.g.o mailing list
64 Regards,
65 - --
66 Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o>
67 Developer, Gentoo Linux (Sparc, Devrel, Userrel, Trustees)