From: "Pablo Andrés Martikian" <pablomartikian@×××××××.com>
To: bm_witness@×××××.com, gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-sparc] QLA2xxx
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 12:42:57
The problem comes from the fact that the firmware is in the disk at /lib/firmware starting from kernel 2.6.18 or something. If you boot the 2617 from the CD it will probably work fine.
Anyway even creating a proper initrd with that /lib/firmware the kernel does not load it. Don't know why.

Of course there will not be a step-back to put the firmware inside the kernel.

I've patched the kernel to make the firmware compiled within. Of course this is not "legal" because the decision to move firmwares outside the kernel was taken for license issues I guess.

These are the steps, if you are interested:
1) copy the attached .c files in the /usr/src
2) modify the linux/drivers/scsi/qla2xxx/qla_init.c in the following way:
       - after the includes add a #include "/usr/src/ql2200_fw_main.c"
       - rename the function qla2x00_load_risc() to anything else, like qla2x00_load_risc_old()

recompile the kernel. no need for the initrd. The firmware will be compiled within the kernel, and loaded from there.

> Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 10:26:04 -0800 > From: bm_witness@×××××.com > Subject: [gentoo-sparc] QLA2xxx > To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o > > I recently acquired a SunBlade 2000 Workstation. As neither I nor any the other admins are very familiar with Solaris, we are trying to put Gentoo/SPARC on the system. However, we have run into an issue with Gentoo 2007.0 as Linux won't find the SCSI hard drive that is attached via a QLA2xxx device - the only number I can get is ISP2200, so I suppose it is suppose to be the QLA2200 - so we can't even start the install, or get to a point where we can even try to compile the driver source. > > I've noticed there were a number of issues with this card in the forums with kernels after 2.6.16. Has anyone found an answer? The 2007.0 ISOs seem to have the latest firmware from Qlogic, which I tried downloading to the system, but we continued to get the "NVRAM inconsistency" message. > > I also noticed there is a newer edition of the qlogic firmware in portage. Does anyone know how I might be able to get the system to use the newer code? Will the 2008.0 ISOs use the new code? (If so, I'm sure I could wait for the 2008.0 SPARC image.) > > Any pointers, etc. would be greatly appreciated. > > TIA, > > Ben > > > -- > gentoo-sparc@l.g.o mailing list >
_________________________________________________________________ Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today it's FREE!

File name MIME type
ql2200_fw.c text/x-csrc