From: Klaus Wagner <klaus@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-sparc] Software Compilation
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 07:59:39
1 On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 07:45:23AM +0200, Nic le Roux wrote:
2 > Thanks Ralph.
3 >
4 > It, will however be a requirement to put the modem on the E450.
5 > Because of the way Nagios generates the sms's and as a means of removing
6 > another point of failure I have to put it on the E450.
7 > Guaranteeing the delivery of the sms is of utmost importance.
8 > Is there complications in getting it set up on the Sparc machine itself ?
9
10 If I remind correctly the E450 has 2 serial ports, but they look like PC
11 Parports. If you want to connect a modem, you have to use
12 adapters.(gender changers at least)
13
14 If you do not have a Grafics card installed (we usually don't have) you
15 will need a console (or zero-modem cable and minicom) to setup the
16 system. If you follow the documentation correctly you should not
17 encounter any problems.
20 > Are there changes in the Apache config made as a requirement of it being on
21 > the E450 ?
22 > Something in the list that I left out was postfix, using a smarthost on the
23 > network to deliver mail.
24
25 Your default Apache settings should play well, but be aware that if you
26 can't distribute you load to several cpu's (more threads/processes) E450
27 performance will suck.
30 > On that note is the Sparc distribution very stable ?
31
32 This might bring up discussions but here my opinion:
33
34 2.4 Linux and stable libs --> very stable
35 2.6 Linux and stable libs --> quite stable but I would not bet on it
36
37 If you ever need a ~sparc flags to get the versions you need use it
38 careful, only mark the specific package in /etc/portage/package.keywords
39 and newer use ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~sparc" emerge foo_bar.
40
41 If it doesn't need to be linux I would suggest you try opensolaris.
42 It is free, has solid rock stability on sparc and you can install gnu
43 tools to compile/run gnu software.(At least Apache and Postfix runs well
44 on opensolaris)
45
46 regards klaus
47 --