From: Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@××××××.com>
Cc: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>, gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-sparc] a question regarding using promise PDC 20262 ide card on Ultra 5 as boot device
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 07:57:38
Zhang Weiwu wrote:

> Ferris McCormick wrote: > >> So you have two questions: >> 1. Will Gentoo boot of the floppy? And if so, >> 2. Can you take enough out of the kernel & put it into modules >> to fit the kernel + the boot loader onto a floppy? >> >> I am sure your situation is addressed somewhere, but I've never run >> across it. >> >> Good luck, keep trying, and come back with questions. Eventually >> someone who knows the answer will get tired of reading my responses >> and will feed you better information. > > > I think I ran into new problems. After lots of work to shink kernel > down to 1.2MB and teste the kernel is bootable, according to silo(1), > these steps should create bootable floppy: > > genromfs -d directory/ -f device -a 512 -A 2048,/.. > mount -t romfs device mountpoint > silo -r mountpoint -i /boot/fd.b -F > umount mountpoint > > This is what I did: > > root # fdisk /dev/fd0 > > Command (m for help): s > Building a new sun disklabel. Changes will remain in memory only, > until you decide to write them. After that, of course, the previous > content won't be recoverable. > > > Command (m for help): w > The partition table has been altered! > > Calling ioctl() to re-read partition table. > > WARNING: Re-reading the partition table failed with error 22: Invalid > argument. > The kernel still uses the old table. > The new table will be used at the next reboot. > Syncing disks. > > root # genromfs -d /boot/ -f /dev/fd0 -a 512 -A 2048,/.. > > root # mount -t romfs /dev/fd0 /boot > root # silo -r /boot -i /boot/fd.b -F > silo.conf seems to be valid > > root # umount /boot > > And start the computer: > > [Enter OBP] > ok boot floppy > Boot device: /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1/ebus@1/fdthree File and args: > Bad magic number in disk label > Can't open disk label package > > Can't open boot device > > So I failed to make a bootable floppy. What do I miss?
God, I don't think its my problem any more! I created a sparc boot floppy image using dd(1) with the image I got from: This image, said should be able to boot, still produce the above error in OBP. I also googled around, lots of people are asking the same question (why cannot boot from floppy) and given no satisfying answer. Perhaps this is an UltraSparc problem -- gentoo-sparc@g.o mailing list